Waking Up Hungry?? ~Vets~

econtiff
on 9/3/13 6:30 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Hi all!

Wow! I can't believe I am 17 months out of surgery and nearly 6 months maintaining goal weight! I have a 2-3 pound swing but don't worry about it because it always just fluctuates a bit.

I don't run as much because I'm a Zumba girl. Anway, my question is: As I've added carbs back in, I've noticed I wake up hungry around 3am. I used to do this all the time before I lost the weight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think I need to cut carbs before bed. Maybe have a protein shake before falling asleep? I hate this feeling and I hate waking up!

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

A. Kondrlik
on 9/3/13 8:21 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

How about eating a little carbs and a little protein instead of just carbs.  The protein will level out those insulin spikes.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

ravenbrown
on 9/3/13 11:04 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

You could definitely try a protein shake or maybe even some Greek yogurt and fruit before bed (I like this as a dessert bc I'm a dessert person).  I usually only have that waking up hungry thing when I haven't had enough water. 

califsleevin
on 9/4/13 12:21 am - CA

I usually have some yogurt and fruit, or some protein loaded pudding (pudding made with protein powder and yogurt) as a late evening snack as needed and rarely wake up hungry before normal wake up time. I keep a Quest bar by the bed in the rare event that I do need something.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Keith L.
on 9/4/13 1:11 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

When you say you have added carbs back in, can you be more specific. Despite what many people say a carb is not a carb. A low glycemic slow digesting carbs or fiber carbs are much different than high glycemic and highly processed sugar carbs. So if you are eating a piece of fruit or crackers before bed I would expect you to wake up hungry. If you are eating fiber cereal or oatmeal before bed or brown rice with your dinner then I would expect that you would not wake up hungry.

I don't think you need to cut carbs before bed, I just think you need to eat the right kind of carbs before bed. I eat a cup of greek yogurt with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Fiber One Cereal before bed. I get the slow digesting protein from the yogurt and I get the slow digesting carbs from the fiber one cereal and I get a lot of benefit from the concoction.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

smittyjen
on 9/4/13 8:45 am
VSG on 10/30/13
My guess is that you're eating just enough carbs that causes a spike then a drop in your blood sugar (therefore the hungry feeling)...maybe just some string cheese or a protein shake before bed will keep you level throughout the night.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views