Question

jenamir21
on 9/9/13 12:07 pm
VSG on 10/14/13

I wanted to ask about the BSBC insurance approval. I was under the impression that BSBC is now making people wait 6mths before they can be approved for surgery. I wanted to know, because I got my approval by Sept. 1st. So I now have 6mths to have my surgery. I have been hearing that BSBC requires you to have surgery by Sept. 10th to avoid having to wait the 6 months. If anyone else has BCBS and battling with the same issue can you please respond. I am really starting to worry now, that I might have to wait 6 months even thou my case manager is telling I don't have to. I go to my surgeon on next Wednesday to schedule my appt. for my surgery date.

28 YO 5'11 HW:315 GW:185 SW:293

Ihearttennis
on 9/9/13 2:36 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I have BCBS of Texas. I didn't  have to do any supervised diet at all.  My first surgeon's visit was mid January. I then did psyc eval, blood work, EKG, physician approval,etc. Submitted to insurance end of February, approved in March and had surgery in April. No waiting period and no liquid diet either. Good luck 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

MuttLover
on 9/9/13 8:22 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

All BCBS plans are different, and if you work for a large employer, your employer can set rules differently as well.  If you have an approval letter, typically that letter is your approval for surgery.  Don't go by "what you hear" -- call BCBS at the number on your member ID card and ask them very specific questions.  Then ask the insurance coordinator at your surgeon's office -- if both sets of answers match (BCBS and your surgeon's office), you can be pretty sure that the info is correct.  The surgeon wants to get paid, and and will not do the surgery without the proper approvals.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views