What percent of

bdaycakegirl
on 9/18/13 10:57 am

your excess weight did you lose at:

6 months post op?

1 year post op?

3 years post op?

5 years post op?

If you are pleased with your results, what do you think you did right? If you are displeased, is there anything you think you did wrong?

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

theyearofme
on 9/18/13 11:06 am
VSG on 03/28/13

I will be 6 months next week and I'm sitting right at about 70% lost right now.  My goal is 100% by 1 year!

I am very pleased.  I have focused on high protein, extremely low carbs.  My only carbs come from veggies and fruit (started at about 4 months).  I drink TONS of water and nothing else.  I'm not 100% perfect by any means.  I've had a couple bites of treats on a few occasions the last 2 months- but like twice and I'm talking 2-3 bites.  But 99% of the time I stick to the high protein first plan and it's working for me.  I felt like my loss between 4-5 months was a little slow.  I increased my calories from 500-600 up to 600-700 and I've lost almost 15 pounds this month.  Think I was restricting too far down.  I'm going to ride this band wagon until it slows again, then adjust again.  It's all in attitude and dedication to plan!!

bdaycakegirl
on 9/18/13 11:10 am

Those are amazing results. Bravo! How many carbs a day do you think you consume? Do you eat much fat, or is all your protein lean?

Cindy B.
on 9/18/13 12:58 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

I'm not sure how to measure my excess weight percent, but by 6 months I had lost about 80 pounds. I wanted to lose a total of 96 pounds, which would put me in the normal BMI range. By 7.5 months I had reached that goal. Now I've lost 124 pounds and I'm not quite 11 months out. (My ticker doesn't show it, but I'm below my revised goal weight of 145 and weigh 131 pounds. I have finally been maintaining the last few weeks. Stopping losing weight hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be!)

I think I did just about everything right. When I first came home from the hospital, I walked at least 15 minutes every day and increased that up to 30 minutes. At 1 month out, I started riding our stationary bike and got up to riding it for an hour a day 3 times a week and I also did 3 days of strength training.

I followed my doctors plan of eating protein first. I also limited my carbs , but not as much as a lot of people on here do. I stayed below 55 carbs most days. I still don't eat very much pasta, rice or bread. I tried to eat at least 60 grams of protein and most days got 80 grams in. I drank tons of water and herbal tea and have stayed away from carbonated drinks. I am at the point now where I eat an occasional treat, but even when I do it's only a couple of bites.

The only thing I think I should have changed and should still change is to vary my workout a bit. I'm very pleased with my results! I haven't worn a size 6 since I was in Jr. High school! Not only that, but I feel WAY younger than I did a year ago! :)

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

bdaycakegirl
on 9/19/13 5:19 am

AMAZING! Great job!

pineview01
on 9/18/13 3:21 pm - Davison, MI

At 6 months I had lost 70 % of EWL and at 8 months I have lost 84%.  I too am hoping to have it all off by 1 year.

I am more than please as I was a band to sleeve revision.  Their goal for my success with the band was 215 and still obese.  Their goal for me to be a success this time was 180 and I am 12 pounds lower than that.  I am headed for my third goal now.

I did high protein, after reevaluation with my therapist, we set the goal of 80 min and a goal of 100-120.

I kept low carb always under 50 g with a daily goal of 30.

Calories, 800-1000 until six months out and now 1000-1200.  I try staying closer to 1000 but haven't done to well the last couple weeks.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bdaycakegirl
on 9/19/13 5:19 am

Awesome job! Congratulations!

mickeymantle
on 9/18/13 4:22 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

a lot would depend on your starting weight heavy weights usually lose a little faster but have a lot more to lose

to ,lose 250 lb in 1 year would be hard to do , possible but un likely 

but the good thing with the sleeve is at will always work if you stay on plan , maybe a little slower after time but there always will be some restriction

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Nancybefree
on 9/18/13 8:45 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

At six months postop I had lost a hair over 65% EW.  I will be ten months out in two days, and today I'm at 96% EWL.

That's based on my current goal, which still sits me firmly in the "overweight" BMI category, BUT which will reflect literally losing half of my body weight from the time of my first surgeon consult in July 2012.  I may push on beyond that if it looks doable

I am very pleased with my results.  To accomplish this I have:

weighed/measured all of my foods and liquids;
logged all of my food and fluid on MFP every single day;
eaten four fairly equally-sized meals each day (no "snacks") or have substituted a protein shake for
    a solid meal when I'm on the go;
kept my carbs low and my dense, lean protein high;
completely avoided slider foods since the first three postop months;
completely avoided my personal preop trigger foods and all alcoholic beverages;
kept my calories mostly under 700/day (but never over 725);
exercised moderately;
kept up with my fluid intake and my vitamins and supplements;
attended regular follow-ups with my surgeon and his bariatric nurse (who acts as my nutritionist);
attended support group meetings.

Do I feel deprived?  NOT ONE SINGLE BIT.  This new life is soooooooo worth it.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

bdaycakegirl
on 9/19/13 5:21 am

Thank you for all the tips! I am writing them down! Keep it going!!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views