Need advice from the veteran!! Goal how did you know?

kodomezhow06
on 10/2/13 9:48 am - KY

Ok, I need some advice.  I started this journey at 234 lbs and have managed to reach and beat my doctor's recommended goal of 170 lbs. I am currently at 162 bls which would put me at 7 pounds from my personal goal of 155.  I should be excited because I am sooo close buuuut I'm really kinda bumbed about it.  I don't think 155 lbs is the right goal.   I believe 145-140 lbs should be my weight range.  So instead of looking at 7 lbs to lose it will now be at least 17 lbs.  Arrggh.  How do I get over this mental funk and press on?  I know I will hit 155 but I just don't know if I have it in me to push for another 10-15 lbs.

Keith L.
on 10/2/13 10:33 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am not a vet (yet) and I have not reached my goal, but I do have an opinion on how you should select your ultimate goal. You need to pick one that you feel you will look and feel the best at and be most comfortable at. I do not recommend using a BMI chart or googling what the perfect weight for your height should be.

I am actually not shooting for a specific weight, but I am shooting for a 12% body fat mark. For me I have been adding a fair amount of muscle on and shooting for a specific weight might not be achievable.

You don't say how tall you are, how did you come to the 140-145 range conclusion? Something else to consider is you can alway**** your goal and keep going, stop thinking of it as a sprint with an end, its more like a marathon without an end because once you get to goal, you will have whole new challenge in maintaining your weight.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

kodomezhow06
on 10/2/13 11:22 am - KY
Hmmm I do need to consider this as on on going marathon and make adjustments as I go. To answe your question I'm 5"7. And when I was at the weight point I was athletic and comfortable in my skin.

califsleevin
on 10/2/13 11:15 am - CA

Like Keith, I went with body fat %, shooting for mid teens which is the lean side of the normal range for men - mid twenties would be the same range for women - and adjusted the scale weight goal accordingly. That still puts me in the "overweight" range according to the BMI charts, but this is about health, not insurance company statistics.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/13 11:05 pm - NJ
VSG on 09/13/13

Why not keep your goal? Once you meet that goal, set a new one!! Better to set a bunch of obtainable goals that one that will stress you out!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 139 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 407 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 434 views