uh no...I can eat more than I should....

sarah G.
on 10/21/13 8:00 am
VSG on 10/10/13

My surgery was on 10/10/13.  I just started chopped proteins a couple days ago.  Last night after I had chopped up my chicken breast, I intended on measuring it, but as I was preparing dinner for the family, I guess I saw something shiny, grabbed my small plate, scoped a serving spoon full of very soft green beans next to my chicken and sat down and ate 1/2 a chicken breast, the green beans and didn't think anything of it until I was cleaning up.  I was only supposed to eat 1/4 cup of chopped chicken breast.   

Then today instead of my 2 oz of tuna, I ate 3oz because I didn't feel full! 

Have I already stretched my sleeve out in week 2? I'm worried I will be the person who doesn't end up losing weight after surgery!

Sarah

rostoswr
on 10/21/13 8:11 am

I don't think it's a matter of that.  Your stomach is still healing, but I would encourage you to take it easy on solid food especially since you are only 2 weeks out.  It could be the size of your bougie that is making a difference.  Try to increase your water intake.  I am 6 weeks out today and I can barely eat 1 oz of food in a setting.  If it eat too much...I am immediately vomiting.  You will notice a difference soon.

OregonGuy2012
on 10/21/13 8:17 am
VSG on 04/04/13

This close out do not rely on your self feeling "full" to judge when to stop eating.  I would measure out the food and only put that amount on your plate.  Especially in the beginning you should under eat your sleeve.  Your stomach is still swollen and the nerves are not working.  

mmmesser
on 10/21/13 8:28 am

Yes...don't forget (because I did) that you won't necessarily feel anything with your stomach because the nerves are all jacked and your stomach is swollen and you could make yourself sick before you know it and that isn't helpful for your healing stomach.  Just follow your surgeon's food plan for you and if you are not hungry then don't go on whether or not you 'feel' full.  Just eat what they say and how much they say to eat.  That is why they do this because you will not be able to tell by 'feeling' alone.

sarah G.
on 10/21/13 8:39 am
VSG on 10/10/13

thank you everyone for replying.  There is sooooo much to learn.  I live in a small town with very little support.  I appreciate you all very much.

HW 267 Consult W 260 SW 255 CW 227   Goal 135   

Deckeriv
on 10/21/13 8:46 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Work your plan and plan your work. Only put on your plate what you are supposed to eat. Yes, you might be able to eat more now and then you might just pop a few stitches and cause a leak. Don't chance it.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

LosingSarah
on 10/21/13 9:41 am, edited 10/21/13 9:42 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Just like everyone else is saying don't eat to "full" 

I'm only a 5 days post op and I know I could eat more than the 1-1.5oz that I eat at a meal, but don't want to feel full. Honestly, it still takes me a LONG time to eat that 1-1.5 oz (like 45 minutes to an hour) and I just get sick of eating so I just stop and don't finish that last 1/2 oz.

Also, I read in a thread about a week or two ago about how someone was worried about having stretched out their tummy, and the VETS were saying that it really takes a lot of abuse (eating a lot, experiencing fullness pain) over an extended period of time to stretch ones tummy out, so just stick to the plan and you'll be fine! :)

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/13 9:44 am

Here is the bottom line-- yes, you can eat a lot more than I could at this stage.  It doesn't mean that you are doomed and it certainly doesn't mean that you should.  Your stomach was just cut open are stapled together.  Many of your nerves were cut and you can't tell when you are full and pushing on your staple line.  You could hurt yourself in a big way and not even know it.  Follow your program and don't pu**** at all, it's not worth the risk.  You might find that you have more restriction when your nerves heal, or not.  Either way, you will choose how much to eat and how mindful you will be going forward. 

justpete
on 10/21/13 9:52 am
VSG on 04/02/13

just weigh out your food in advance (cups of meat doesnt really work out well).  you really cannot rely on a full feeling.  your stomach is still pretty beat up and cant feel much of anything.  if you do this for a few weeks, you'll get used to it ... then start to feel satiated (not necessarily full) and it will be enough.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

sarah G.
on 10/21/13 9:53 am
VSG on 10/10/13

I really wish this site had "like" buttons for comments. 

HW 267 Consult W 260 SW 255 CW 227   Goal 135   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views