Got my fianancing

mkvand
on 11/7/13 7:16 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I found out today that my financing was approved.  :)  I'm excited, so I wanted to share.  I also want to give background, especially for anyone else who is trying to figure out how to pay for surgery. 

I've been thinking about WLS for years, but my insurance specifically excludes it.  I tried saving up, but due to having had four other surgeries in the last five years, wasn't succeeding.  I looked into refinancing my home, but because of the slow recovery didn't have enough equity. I even thought about taking money out of my 401K, but had to use that money to move when I became unable to climb my stairs.  Then one of my coworkers who had WLS told me about a friend of hers who went to Mexico.  I started doing research and realized going to Mexico isn't as crazy as it sounds at first (although for fun, try telling people you are going to Mexico to have 85% of your stomach pulled out through your belly button.  The reactions are priceless).  I found a surgeon, got the price, and made my plans.

I looked at how others had financed surgery, and found the best loan terms were through credit unions.  This does require you to be a member in good standing, but since my credit union only requires $35 in a savings account to start, that's pretty easy.  Then I made a plan to pay off my existing medical bills.  I had to cut a lot of extras out of my budget, but it's worth it.  Last week, I finished paying off the bills from my last surgery.  This week, I went into my credit union to apply.  I had to provide proof of income, and they pulled my credit report.  Since I was already an established member, that's it.  I was approved for the loan in less than 24 hours.  The payments are less than my car payments, and the repayment term is shorter.  Can you afford car payments?  Then you can afford WLS.

aliekat
on 11/7/13 8:23 pm

Well done. cute cat.

Disclaimer: Although I am a doctor, I do not play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  I've done a lot of additional research on WLS issues but am not qualified to give medical advice over the internet.  I'm happy to share my research with you, but you should see an acting professional if you want real medical advice.enlightened

mkvand
on 11/9/13 2:29 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Thank you.  She's the only one of my five fur babies who will hold still long enough for a good picture. :)  Your cat reminds me of one of my others--the one who attacks the camera wrist strap when I try to take his pic.

pharmagirl_45
on 11/7/13 10:33 pm - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Glad it worked out for you. 

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

mkvand
on 11/9/13 2:30 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Thanks.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 64 views