did you cheat in your pre op diet?

claudiaes
on 11/11/13 11:44 pm - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

how important is to do the pre op diet perfectly and does it determine how well you will do in the long run?

did you cheat at all in the pre op diet? 

jillypooh8
on 11/11/13 11:57 pm - Irving, TX

No but I used CORE supplements that taste good as well as some Muscle Milk that is good on the palate.  I didn't miss the food for two weeks.  But, I kept myself away from food events during the prefast before Halloween (Lapband removal) and will again try avoid "food-centered" events next month, although that will be difficult with the Holidays before the VSG surgery on 12/27. 

My surgeon stated the smaller the liver, the easier the surgery and the two week fast, shrinks the fat around the live thus making our recovery shorter and easier because the surgery itself is of a shorter duration and the need to convert to an open surgery is less likely for those who stick to the fast,.  I think that is true.  The shorter time we are under full anesthesia, the easier it seems to come back to life and recover.  

Just my opinion, hon!

Jill

B. Capri
on 11/11/13 11:57 pm

I truly feel that it does NOT determine how well we will do after being sleeved.  If we were all able to drink protein drinks all day everyday then we wouldn't need this tool.  Yes, I cheated a few times by having grilled chicken.  I also read up on the preop diets and not all physicians require that their patients even do one.  

Mrs_Desire _
on 11/12/13 12:10 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

I have not cheated. Didn't cheat the first time I had to do the pre-op diet when I had the lapband either.

The pre-op diet is to give your surgeon a easier time trying to get to your stomach for the procedure. I rather make my surgeon's process better than worse. The diet IS HELL don't get me wrong. I am day ..... 9 of 14. I am ON THE FREAKING EDGE but as long as I keep drinking these drinks and eat my jello, I am going to make it. I KEEP BUSY too.

Every two or three hours drink some protein to stop you from feeling like your stomach is TOUCHING YOUR BACK!!!!

Don't cheat....

We can do it...

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

anninva
on 11/12/13 12:15 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

hard to stay on but important.  on the other hand one cheat should not derail you or make you feel like crap bc that just leads to  more pity eating.

hang in there!  it's just for a while.  it truly sucks, but think of the payoff!  hugs!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jackie T.
on 11/12/13 12:36 am, edited 11/12/13 12:39 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am sorry but whether anyone cheated or didn't cheat on the pre-op diet is irrelevant.  There are medical reasons why you need to do the best you can and follow your doctors orders.  Your doctor is the only one that knows your medical history and what you are up against.  Just because someone else cheated and did not have any complications does not mean that you will not. Yes cheating can be the difference between life and death and whether they proceed with the surgery when they get in there or whether they close you up and have to do it another day.

I understand your wanting to ask the question but ponder this:  If you cheat on your pre-op diet and everything goes okay, are you going to use the same logic during your weight loss phase to say well it didn't hurt me so I am going to go ahead and cheat after surgery.

For the ease of your surgery for you and your surgeon, you need to shrink that liver to give them plenty of room to see what they are doing and do your surgery properly.

The people who stick to their high protein diet after surgery are going to be the ones that are more successful long term.  If you start eating all of the junk and empty calories that you ate prior to surgery then you will more than likely not be successful long term and not get to your goal weight and stay there.

As you can tell I think it is very important that you follow you pre-op diet and to follow your doctor's plan.  When you start making excuses is when you get into trouble.  I wish you all the luck and hope that you can stick with the pre-op diet.  In my opinion it was the hardest thing that I have done through this whole process.  You can do it!  Good Luck!

UPDATE:  I did not mean for this to sound too harsh, just being realistic.  Nobody is perfect and if you do fall off the wagon, brush yourself off and start again.  This is not a race and you have to find the balance that works for you and what you will be happy with long term.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

candiedtamz
on 11/12/13 12:49 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Yes...I ate two potato chips. Then I got one of my favorite seasoning shakers and shook some in my hand on another day. I was just so tired of the sweets! Anyway, don't give up on the diet as it serves two purposes...1) Helps shrink your organs to make it easier to operate and 2) Lose a few pounds which can get you closer to your goal in the long run. But I must say there are stories out there of people who cheated and when the doctors went in for surgery they could not operate on them because the organs weren't small enough to get around to the stomach. So, my advice would be to stick directly to the plan as much as you can and think of the long run. Good Luck and don't worry!

VSG on 06/12/13
While there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation between pre op diet success and long term success, it still can provide an important mental benefit to you if you approach it in the right mindset. You're well advised to do some introspection and focus on preparation during this time. Yeah, you're going to feel all out of whack particularly early on because of that diet, but don't blow it off. Get in the habit then of treating your body with patience and kindness, and focus on tuning up your internal listening skills because they'll come in handy later.

I was on a 20gm carbs + all the protein I could take in on my preop diet and didn't feel the need to cheat. I learned a lot, primarily that I could stay really satisfied that way and it actually reduced my anxiety about starving after surgery. I used this time to join a gym and practice recording my food intake, as well.

Good luck -
Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

sunny10
on 11/12/13 1:50 am

My doctor did not give me a pre-op diet.  I ate till the night before my surgery.  I have lost 96 pounds and I am at my goal.

I don't know why some doctors make you do the pre-op diet and some don't.

Sunny10    
mickeymantle
on 11/12/13 1:59 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you have trouble sticking to the pre op diet  a visit to a therapist might be helpful  , if you do not follow your plan  most of the time you will not lose and maintain the loose

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views