New here and waiting on surgery date

emb878
on 11/24/13 7:04 am
I have been considering wls for quite some time, but decided to take the leap in October. I have already met with the np at my surgeon's office, completed my psych eval, had an upper gi test done, and meet with the surgeon on Dec.11. The process is going quickly for me. I'm hoping I'll have my vgs before the end of the year. Does anyone think its doable?
pharmagirl_45
on 11/24/13 7:07 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

It depends what your insurance company requires.  Most insurance companies require a 3 or 6 month supervised diet program.  Good luck.

I'm waiting for the insurance company to approve mine now.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

emb878
on 11/24/13 7:39 am, edited 11/24/13 11:43 am
My surgeon said I have one of the easiest ins comapnies. They only required me to wait 4 weeks after the psych eval to meet with my surgeon. When I meet with the surgeon her office will submit the paperwork for approval. By the way, I have bcbs of tx insurance. Anyone else out there have the same ins? If so, how long did the approval process take?
sillymilly
on 11/24/13 8:52 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

BC/BS of NC has something called "Centers of Excellence".  TX probably has it too.  My surgeon and hospital were a "Center of Excellence", so basically after I did all my consultations they just submitted my name and I was instantly approved.  I was told they pretty much just take the CoE word for it and don't do any review.  If TX has this program just check if your facility is one.  Even if it isn't I think BCBS is pretty fast about approvals from what I've seen others post.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

emb878
on 11/24/13 11:49 am
Tx has the same program! My surgeon and facility participate in the CoE program too!!!
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/24/13 2:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I have BCBS Arizona, and my surgery will be at a CoE as well. The approval came back one week after the paperwork was submitted.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/24/13 2:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I wouldn't rule it out, but I doubt you'd be able to get all of the loose ends tied up by then, particularly in regards to insurance. Many insurance companies require a medically-supervised diet (2- and 6-month diets are common) before approval. You also have to allow time for all of your paperwork (medical history from your GP, etc.) to arrive at the surgeon's office, surgeon to fill out paperwork, and all of that get sent to insurance, and then the insurance company needs up to 2 weeks to approve. They can't actually schedule surgery until you're approved, and it's VERY rare to get an OR booked for less than 2 or 3 weeks from the approval date.

One thing to consider is that a lot of people try to book surgery before the end of the year when their deductibles reset. The surgeon's office may be closed for the week of Christmas as well. So it may be very difficult to speed up the process as the holiday season approaches.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active