Salad?

alicia0206
on 12/4/13 5:58 am

When were you given the ok to have salad? I really want to eat a salad... I am three weeks post op and currently on my baby food/ puree stage. 

Bufflehead
on 12/4/13 6:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I'm not allowed raw vegetables until six months out.

alicia0206
on 12/4/13 6:12 am

Seriously? Why? That stinks. 

Bufflehead
on 12/4/13 6:22 am, edited 12/4/13 6:23 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Raw veggies are hard to digest and my surgeon and his staff are very very cautious about treating a newly sleeved stomach gently.

I would love to have a salad but at the outset of this process I promised myself that I would follow my doctor's instructions faithfully. I have a bad habit of thinking I know better than what experts tell me I should be doing for my health. So I would pick what to eat because I felt smarter than the people giving me advice . . . and that got me well over 300 pounds and needing weight loss surgery. So as much as I might like to have salad, or beef jerky, or a few bites of prime rib right now, I'm just putting my head down and following orders. It isn't killing me.

mickeymantle
on 12/4/13 6:53 am, edited 12/4/13 6:54 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my plan allows any type of food at 2 weeks ( had to start with softer stuff , )

I never had any problems with any salad ,or veggie

and I have been having low carb beef jerky since the second month it is a great high protein snack 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mmmesser
on 12/4/13 8:14 am

I started about 3 months post-op but first I ate some lettuce as I wanted to see what my stomach would do with ruffage.  I chewed A LOT and it was ok.  But I do always tell folks that I have a stomach like a steel trap so...I don't get sick really.  I do also take a reflux medicine and if I didn't I'm not sure how lettuce and vegetables might affect me.  You want to wait for around the time that your stomach is getting some sensation and the nerves are healing before you start eating things like vegetables.  If your doctor or NUT says not to eat it...then DON"T EAT IT!  Also, I really wanted to eat a salad too (I love salads) and would always see a co-worker eating her salad and I just kept telling myself that one day I will get to eat the salad...my tummy just needs to heal first because it is 'rough'age.  You will eat a salad again just give it time.

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/13 8:29 am - NV
VSG on 11/04/13

I am four weeks out and I would love to have a salad.  But there is NO WAY I would ever get all my protein in if I ate a salad.  I am lucky to get 2 oz of protein down at a time.  That means on average 10-15 gm of protein per meal.  My plan calls for 90 gm of protein per day.  With a 30 gm shake in the morning I have to have 4 additional meals at 15 gm per meal.  Honestly, I am so tired of eating, but until my sleeve can handle more than 2 oz at a time, no salad for me.  

Jackie T.
on 12/4/13 11:30 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You are going to have to do what is right for you and everyone's plan is different.  This is a time where you are suppose to be changing the way you eat and while salad is a healthy choice, is it really a choice that is right for your journey at this time?  Right now your focus should be to get all of your protein and fluids in and if you are not hitting those goals then you should really think hard about whether you should be eating anything else at this time.  The salad is not going to stay with you as long as the protein will and you will probably get hungry quicker.

Now having said that if you need to eat something other than protein, then consider two bites of protein, one bite of salad, two bites of protein, one bite of salad.  This would let you get a taste of what you are craving while keeping your protein up there.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views