Yikes...wigging out a bit

ataglimpse
on 12/14/13 12:46 am
VSG on 04/09/14

My surgery date is January 2, 2014 and I am a self-pay unfortunately (don't get me wrong I am thankful I can self-pay too).  I have considered this surgery for about 7 yrs.  I never had a weight problem until my first pregnancy in which I gained 70 lbs and never got it off.  Three more pregnancies later and I gained 16- 22 lbs each time and was able to lose it all.  I am 85-90 lbs overweight and creeping upward.  I have a portion control problem and eat to much starchy things. I talked to the nutritionist this past Wednesday and she suggested that I focus on high protein, low carbs and fats and watch calories. She want me to write down everything I eat for a week and to stay away from beans and fruits too. To a vegetarian ( from a hunger standpoint..meat eaters too) that's like saying eat only salads.   I can do that but I am really struggling with ideas.  I have been a vegetarian my whole life and vegetarians eat a lot of carbs.  Granted there are differences in carbs but I am struggling grasping a vision of what I will be able to eat after surgery.   Vegetarians are big legume eaters.  I have found a new analog product company called 'Gardein" that is encouraging.  It is high protein and low carbs.  I do like the Premier Protein drinks too.  Do people really not eat fruit after surgery?  I am struggling envisioning eliminating fruit as a staple in my diet.  I love bready things and I CAN wrap my mind around that change.  Any suggestions? Does anyone have any experience with a vegetarian diet or know of someone who does.  I really need to have a vision and a plan so I can be successful.  I can't jump without a plan if I want to be successful...help? 

Thanks for any ideas!

Nancybefree
on 12/14/13 1:45 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I had to journal my food for two months.  That was interesting.  :)

I know there are vegetarians I've seen post on this board, so hopefully one or more will see your message and have some helpful advice for you. 

Fruit is something I gave up completely postop, saved for maintenance.  Now that I'm at that stage I plan to add some fruit back in, but "safe" fruits like blueberries and such.  I still don't want to go massively carby now, and I worry that some fruits like bananas might actually be trigger foods for me. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

ataglimpse
on 12/14/13 2:31 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Thanks for posting some hope.  I do have to change my thought process and habits right:)    

shannonmcgee
on 12/14/13 1:47 am
VSG on 12/09/13

Fist breathe...it is to be expected to be nervous. You are less than a month out. I am a vegetarian and have been for 30 years. I found that when I ate my soy burgers (morningstar bocca etc) I was not as hungry for the salads and fruit. The first few days of the pre op is horrible, but your body adjusts and you are really not hungry. You can do this. I cant give you any eating advise now cause I am only 5 days post op. Good luck you can do this.

Shannon

HW- 274  SW- 255  CW- 225.4  GW-125  39yr old 5'2"

Month 1-28.8 (including pre op)

Month 2- 16.8

ataglimpse
on 12/14/13 2:51 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Thanks....that made me smile.  I needed that!  I do eat some of the Moringstar products along with Loma Linda and Worthington products.  They are also high in protein...usually 7-15 grams of protein/serving.  Thanks for the reorientation........still breathingkiss

mickeymantle
on 12/14/13 2:15 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

first off you should start using a tracker like myfitnesspal.com to track all your foods everything needs to be measured no one estimates  correctly 

there are some vegetarians on here that do very well , but it is much harder to stay on plan without eggs dairy and fish, meat

I eat 1-2 fruits a day , I need the fiber to keep going but I still stay between 500-800 cal 80 gm protein and less than 30 gm carbs most days (95%)

adding eggs and dairy would make it much easier for you to get your protein

if you want to stay a vegetartion  you will need to find a good dietion that knows about the needs of someone with a sleeve and also a vegetartion, to work out a plan that is acceptable to your surgeon and will keep you healthy and losing

great luck with your jorney

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ataglimpse
on 12/14/13 5:17 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Thanks for the advice.  I do like myfitness pal and have been using it.   And I really like  farm fresh organic eggs.  There are actually lots of protein options I am just trying to wrap my mind around the carb thing.  

themexcellentone
on 12/14/13 2:26 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
Are you familiar with Dr. Garth Davis? He is a bariatric surgeon in Houston that promotes vegetarianism and has many patients who have become vegetarians and vegans. He has a great Facebook page where you can find meal ideas and such.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

ataglimpse
on 12/14/13 5:22 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I will defiantly will check out his Facebook page.  I thought I had read a post about him but I couldn't remember his name.  Thank you.

themexcellentone
on 12/14/13 6:26 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
You are most welcome. His Twitter feed is a good one to follow too...lots of great articles and info there as well. Good luck!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active