Surgery 12/18

stacie914
on 12/15/13 4:24 am

My surgery is scheduled for 12/18.  I am starting to get a little nervous but excited at the same time.  The Pre-op diet has been challenging and I have cheated a bit by eating soup because I could not handle anymore of just the broth.  I did not think that was too bad since I sat through two different work breakfast meetings and a dessert day at work.  At one point I looked at my husband and asked to lick his chicken wing (I know that is pathetic) but it is making me aware of how much food is part of my life.   It is too cold for popsicles and I have been eating a lot of jello.  I finally found a protein drink that I actually like the taste of and that has been going well.  I have lost 15lbs since starting the pre-op so that is exciting.  Any last minute advice for me?

DanielaGiron
on 12/15/13 5:09 am - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

I would say hydrate , when I started drinking on the day after surgery as incredibly hard could not get down one bottle of water in total!! Apart, relax and don't  be shy to ask for pain meds ;)... Lots of luck :)

The_True_KayD
on 12/15/13 5:11 am

Congrats for surviving what some call "Boot camp". Kudos on realizing your relationship with food is one that will need some changes. Just a couple of things that worked for me:

They give us liquid and protein guidelines to follow post op. A friend told me to focus on water and gradually increase my protein to the stated guidelines. I was struggling keeping track so I went into problem solving mode. I picked up a package of small plastic cups and used those to drink my protein drink from. I took out the number of cups to represent the number of cups that I needed to drink that day. Using that system I achieved the guidelines within a week of surgery. It gave an easy way to keep track of how much I was drinking. It is visual and worked very well for me.

Don't beat yourself up. Recovery is progress not perfection. While I was recovering I focused on my drinking along with looking for the good stuff. For example, after day 4 I could move a bit better. Day 8 I began to feel a bit more like my usual self. I was aware of things that I would have to watch out for I refused to focus on the negative. The recovery phase is temporary. That leads to a whole bunch of great things! I realized the other day that I would go through all the discomfort again if it meant that I would be healthy and happy. 

It was a great journey and I am grateful for all that I learned about myself! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

loseit
on 12/15/13 5:24 am - Gilbert, AZ

Not sure what doctor to go with???  I was thinking of Dr. Lopez but I've been reading all this post and i have yet to read a post that says they used him.  Please help.  How do you chose your doctor ?

sillymilly
on 12/15/13 6:36 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

If you have insurance start by finding out who they will allow you to use.  Just start looking everyone up on the internet to see what looks good to you.    How long have they been doing the surgery, what percentage of their patients reach their goals, what is their leak rate, how long do they follow up with you after surgery, do they have a nutritionist and psychologist on staff, etc.  If you can't find out the answers online, call them.  A lot of surgeons have "information sessions" where people who are thinking about wls can come for an overview and to ask questions.  That also allows you to meet them and see how comfortable you feel with them.

You can also look on here using the "Find a Bariatric Surgeon" tool in the upper right of the screen.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

MeAreToo
on 12/15/13 6:18 am - TX
VSG on 12/27/13

You'll be fine. I'm currently in my "Boot Camp" phase and my surgery is scheduled for the 27th. I know what you mean by wanting to just lick a chicken wing or something.  I had to clean out my entire fridge and pantry. No food in the house except protein shakes, skim/soy milk.  Is there other broths we can "eat" besides chicken and beef.? My problem is not that I'm hungry its Flavor; a different taste besides protein shake and chicken broth. 

Anywho.... Everyone is right. Hydration is the key... another way to keep hydrated is similar to what everyone else posted, another thing you can to is put the squeeze flavor for water and just put it on the ice chips... think of it as a snow cone.  

Enjoy your current victory in completing the "Boot Camp" and look forward to your results after surgery. Keep your eyes on the prize.

MeR2 

mkvand
on 12/15/13 5:24 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I just found flavor infused broths at walmart.  I bought the thai ginger, but I haven't tried it yet.

luvbskts
on 12/15/13 8:50 am

My surgery is the 17th and I also have cheated with soup.  I've been eating fr. onion soup.  I took off the cheese and took out the bread.  I counted it as broth with onions.  I'm down 11 on my pre-op.  I did the colon cleanse today and hope to reach 17 lbs by Tuesday.

Malg22
on 12/15/13 9:44 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Hi! I, too am set for a VSG on Dec. 18th in Ohio. I'm searching info online and speaking to everyone I can for more info as well as looking at the boards here. Good luck to you on the journey!

rengirl1978
on 12/15/13 10:21 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am also having surgery on the 18th! Hang in there, we can do it!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views