Dry mouth and throat and missing food

staceyp1105
on 12/21/13 8:18 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am 3 days post op and I am getting in my liquids and proteins but my mouth and throat are still so dry...dry to where my throat hurts.  I know it's partially from the tube in surgery but shouldn't that be gone now?  

Anyone else experience it?

And even though I dont think I could eat it even if I tried, I miss food.  Not just head hunger cuz lots of times I'm not hungry bu****ching my family eat is hard.  My family made a commitment to better our eating habits so they aren't fee nesting poorly, but wow..I miss it.

hoping it will result in good practice to handle head hunger once it surfaces...and I know it will.

rengirl1978
on 12/21/13 9:42 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hey my surgery twin! You should try some sugar free mints or candy to help with your throat. Or maybe even some Halls Soothers? Those are sugar free I believe. Mine all feels fine.

I was smelling food being cooked today, and although it did smell good, I really just didn't care. Eating ice and popsicles is helping because I do have to "chew" those. Have you tried ice or popsicles?

I had to go to grocery store the day before my surgery, when I had been on liquids all day and it was pure torture! But then when I went to grocery store the day I was released from hospital, I didn't even care about the food there. So interesting!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

staceyp1105
on 12/21/13 9:58 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Good idea on the hard candy or mints...not sure why I didn't think about that.  Popsicles and ice yes...having both.

i can't say I would eat the foods I'm seeing and smelling...I dfinitely wouldn't and dont really want to.  I think it's more the process of getting used to not being tempted by it to the degree of action.

i have done really well with the liquids and protein shakes so I am looking forward to adding the soft stuff....  How about you?

better or worse than u expected?

rengirl1978
on 12/21/13 10:03 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I think it's better than I expected! I am getting my liquids in really well, but I certainly feel it if I drink too many sips in a row. All the gas is funny! Constant rumbles in my guts and lots of belching... not very ladylike! Haha! I was shocked when I stepped on the scale the day I left the hospital... -12lbs! So I am thrilled! I don't have a scale though, so I have to wait for my post op appointment  to see my weight again.

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

staceyp1105
on 12/21/13 10:16 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Exactly the same for me..the rumbles.  I had expected sips to be really small and take forever to finish 3 oz but I'm ok with it...although I feel it if I do it too fast.  I haven't weighed myself...I have my post op appt on Monday so I want to wait til then.

Glad you are doing well...keep in touch

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/13 4:18 pm
VSG on 01/27/14
Sore/scratchy throat can last a couple of weeks. Try using a humidifier, it will help keep the mucosa in the trachea mmoist and should help the soreness.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views