First soft solid food...rejected

Annievvho
on 12/25/13 1:20 am, edited 12/25/13 4:38 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I will officially be 4 weeks out on Friday. At my appointment on Monday, my NUT told me that I could try some solids today. My sleeve did not agree. Mostly I ate egg whites, which I had had before, but I also tried a little tiny bite of a turkey sausage ball (didn't like it, which is disappointing because I found the recipe, it said they are delicious, but no. Just no). Had an even smaller bite of regular sausage, and one tiny cube of potato. I chewed like it was my job. I didn't drink anything. I had the slimies after and was uncomfortable because my sleeve couldn't break it down, I suppose. I had slimy burps, and my throat was producing all this thick mucous (gross). Then I knew I'd be getting sick. So a couple of questions...

How the heck do I account for calories consumed if most of them left before turned into fuel?

I plan to back down to soft/purées, obviously, but will I be ready to try again at the end of the week? I can't imagine being ready 2 days from now if I'm not today.

Maybe I was too used to purée capacity, and didn't account for solids reducing capacity and ate too much?

mickeymantle
on 12/25/13 1:29 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

try something softer like baked Tilapia, and take tiny bites like the size of your little finger nail and crew it to mush , I had no problems at 2 weeks with solid food but everyone is different ,maybe you need an other week to heal more

you should not be trying for more than 1 tablespoon at a meal at first , and the only potato I would try at that point is mashed , but I would not waste the cal on potatoes till you can eat more ,sausage might be to fatty and spicy for you to start on

maybe try 1 med steamed shrimp  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

themexcellentone
on 12/25/13 1:43 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Based on my own experience, it just seems like 4 weeks is too early for full solids.  But like I said...this was my experience.  I was not allowed full solids until 6 weeks post-op.

It sounds like perhaps your sleeve is not ready for solids just yet.  I don't think it would hurt to stay on softs another week, but that was what my doctor required--3 weeks full liquids, 3 weeks soft solids, and then at 6 weeks, anything was fair game. 

I would not worry about accounting for the calories of the things you spit back up, honestly.  At this point you are consuming so few calories that a tiny bite of something isn't going to make a significant dent in your overall calorie consumption. 

As for capacity, when I was moved to soft solids, I could eat 3/4 of a scrambled egg at most, 1-2 ounces of ground turkey, and that was it.  It took me about 30 minutes to eat that small quantity.  Are you taking your time while you eat?  Perhaps you ate too fast?

Good luck moving to the next stage...it takes all of us different amounts of time to move from one to the next.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Annievvho
on 12/25/13 4:49 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I am taking my time. And egg whites were on my soft list, so I had had them before. I think it was the sausage, or maybe even the sausage ball, because no matter how much I chewed them up, they were not the paste consistency I've been able to get with canned meat purée. I have had and tolerated canned chicken, ham, and crab in a salad-like form. I think the advantage there was canned meat already being wet and softened + making it into a salad and puréeing it made it way easier to digest than fresh meat chewed into oblivion.

themexcellentone
on 12/25/13 6:43 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Perhaps that's the culprit then--the meat may have been too dry for a first try. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views