Pre-op diet day four

mkvand
on 12/26/13 7:33 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I posted at the end of day one that that day sucked, which it did.  I just wanted to give an update now that I'm four days in, for anyone whose liquid diet is coming up, or if anyone else just started and wants to compare.  For reference, I have to do two weeks of full liquids, staying under 1000 calories a day.

Day one:  Started out ok, since I'm usually not hungry when I wake up and had eaten before bed.  As the day went on, I got dizzy, shaky, grumpy, then developed a severe migraine that caused me to have to leave work early and hole up in a dark room for several hours, even after taking imitrex.  The migraine made me too nauseated to care about food.

Day two:  Still had a headache, but not as bad, which meant I started getting hungry again. The dizziness and shakiness continued.  Fortunately, I had Tuesday and Wednesday off for the holiday.

Day three:  No more headache, no more nausea, which meant I was hungry, although not as much as I expected.  Also still dizzy and shaky.

Day four:  Today was better.  The hunger was less, which is a relief.  No headache at all. Still dizzy, especially when I move suddenly, and a little shaky, but not so much I couldn't go back to work.  Also, I weighed myself (I am not a daily weigher) and I've lost seven pounds in four days.  Obviously, most of that is water, but that's good.  The whole point is to burn up my glycogen stores, and when that happens the body releases the water stored with it.  I feel the sudden weight loss is confirmation that the liquid diet is working.

I'm really glad my surgeon has me doing this.  I've seen people who aren't required to do the pre-op diet post about how great that is, but if I weren't going through this now, I'd probably have been hit with that two day migraine while I was in the hospital. You know, when you're supposed to be up walking the halls, except when I have migraines moving makes me want to vomit.  Much, much better to get that out of the way now.

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/26/13 11:53 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

I got the headaches from caffeine withdrawal. They were pretty terrible. Let your surgeon know if your migraines come back and have them RX you something that will be friendly with your new tummy. 

Keep up the good work! Get that fatty liver down to make your surgeon's job fixing you up easier. Rest when you need to, the pre-op diet was probably tougher than the surgery recovery for me. Getting rid of the carb monster is tough. Remember how tough  it is when you are on the other side of surgery and feel tempted to eat something high in carbs.  There is nothing that tastes that good to go through those horrible cravings again. 

4dogsgowild
on 12/27/13 1:16 am
VSG on 12/13/13

It gets easier day by day. The head aches I didn't have because I don't drink coffee and gave up soda months ago. I had a real diet soda addiction. I would almost say it was just as hard to quit diet soda as it was to quite smoking, that stuff is horrible for you. Anyways by day seven the pre diet got alot easier. Good luck and I just keep telling myself you can do anything for a set time, it will not always be this way.

HW: 260  SW: 238  CW: 202    M1: -23 

mkvand
on 12/27/13 4:46 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

The thing is, I already don't drink coffee or soda, or really anything with caffeine except an occasional cup of tea.  And by occasional, I mean less than once a week.  I think it's just the sudden drop in caloric intake that's doing it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views