"Well you should just have bypass"

mollz007
on 12/31/13 3:44 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Hi there! I have been in your boat as well. I actually never considered the DS because the center I want to use doesn't do it, but I struggled with the RNY vs. VSG as well. It came down to me wanting to have a less complicated procedure and have my body be able to absorb everything. I have a tendency to be anemic so I worried about that with RNY. Also I like that with the VSG, you can eventually eat practically everything you used to eat, but in smaller portions. Finally, I liked that the VSG alters your body's production of the hormone that signals huger. Anyway, those were the things that helped me make my decision. Sorry I can't speak for the DS because I didn't even research it. Good luck!

To clarify, I have not had the surgery yet but have made my final decision.

check out my blog!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/31/13 3:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Bottom line: my body, my choice. The decision is to be made between me and my doctor, not people on the Internet who think they know everything. ;)

Personally, I chose the sleeve because I have bipolar and take meds to stay sane. I don't want to risk not being able to absorb my happy pills, so that was my top reason. But I also liked that the surgery was more straightforward, and also that I can still take NSAID's unlike the RNY (Tylenol, Asprin, and even opiates don't do squat for me). But that's just me!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 4:00 am - WA

One surgeon I went to told me I could still take NSAIDS with RNY once in a while..well I take them multiple times a week!

I also take zoloft for some PTSD/anxiety issues I have and if I don't take it I get sick (oh the withdrawals of antidepressants)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/31/13 4:02 am, edited 12/31/13 4:02 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh man, antidepressant discontinuation is the WORST! I've tried too many pills to count in all the years I've been on psych meds (hooray trial and error!) and missing a dose, or tapering off one completely, absolutely SUCKS.

As far as NSAID's go, what I've heard is that if you take them often, there's a risk of ulcers. When you swallow, they land in the same spot in your pouch every time, which makes sense, and that's less of a risk with a sleeve.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 4:05 am - WA

My mom has a history of bleeding ulcers and colitis. She was in the hospital after throwing up blood once and had to have multiple transfusions!

Another reason I don't my insides redone. Thanks...Another PRO for Sleeves

happyteacher
on 12/31/13 4:17 am

My surgeon recommended Rny as it is better at resolving diabeties (I had it) and I am a sugar junkie and the dumping would stop that cold.  I held firm, and he was understanding.  

Here is why I went Vsg:

Faster recovery with less complication, safer, stomach works as intended, no rerouting *huge deal to me*, can take all meds *huge deal due to allergies, asthma, and cancer*, no malabsorption *I am terrible about taking meds*, can eat normally- just less, loss of gherlin, changed eating habits cause weiight loss- not malabsoprtion of calores that ceases after 2 years

Here is why I avoided Rny:

Rerouting, no Nsaids, dumping, more complications, concerned that once calories started "counting" again I would regain, critical to be diligent taking supplements, can't scope everything properly *huge deal due to the cancer status and family history*

My brother in law and now new sister in law had Rny- they have now both regained at least 50 pounds and counting.  They are also both 2 years further out than I am though, so I will need to continue to be mindful about regain.

My surgeon originally said I could expect to lose about 5% less of my EWL with the vsg, and I was Ok with that.  By the time I went to the 1 year follow up, he said that both types of his patients were now losing comparably.  

Most importantly- I am no longer diabetic, I have lost between 150-160 pounds (closer to 160), stopped the cholesterol meds, gained a huge amount of mobility, improved balance, and overall feel absolutely amazing!  Honestly- I feel a minimum of 20 years younger!  My husband lost weight with me so we are totally like a couple of teenagers again- and we are loving life!  The downside- loose skin, but I will take it anyday over all that fat.  Plastic surgery (tummy tuck) did an amazing job, and now I just have the turkey neck to go.  I made it to goal by 8 months without any difficulty at all, and since then have lost another 17-20 pounds.  Maintenance has been smooth sailing and I never feel deprived.  In fact, I feel far more satisfaction in eating now than I ever did preop!  

Love me sleeve!  I was very careful in considering what the best fit was for me though... for some the dumping part of Rny could be the difference between tackling the sugar devil or not making goal for example.  Consider carefully what your needs are, as they are both good surgeries.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 4:33 am - WA

i grew up on sugar free stuff since my dad was a diabetic...i can take it or leave it...

I am a volume eater and will "finish my plate" like i was taught to by my abusive father...i'm trying to change that habit..it's hard to break

I have smaller plates now and bowls i bought at target in the kid section...oh well if people think i look silly using them that's their problem hahaha

themexcellentone
on 12/31/13 4:17 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I never had anyone tell me that I should have the bypass or the DS.  I didn't tell people that I was having surgery until I'd decided on one, told my surgeon what I wanted him to do and we finalized things. 

But here's why I chose the sleeve over the other procedures:

--Didn't want my intestines rerouted.

--Didn't want to be left with a blind stomach, like the RNY leaves you with.

--Wanted to be able to keep my pyloric valve intact.

--I knew I needed volume restriction, not malabsorption.  I am not a carb addict, but a volume eater, and the sleeve definitely helps me with that.

--I didn't want something left behind in my body that required constant maintenance (even my surgeon said the band would be a bad idea for me; I agreed).

And here's why I'm glad I had the sleeve:

--My diabetes was resolved 1 month post-op.  I haven't had to take diabetes meds since August.

--I find out Friday if I get to be taken off my BP medication (which is already at the lowest dose possible).

--My joints feel better than they have in a long, long time.

--I can run again.

There are so many other reasons I am glad I had the sleeve.  Plenty of folks are successful with it, and you can be too.  I am 42 pounds from my surgeon's goal, and 92 from my goal and I am just shy of  6 months post-op.  I have no reason to believe that I won't hit my goal.  I also recognize that the sleeve, like all the other WLS procedures, can be eaten around and regain can happen.  This is why I have committed to behavioral changes as well, not just food changes.  I can't emphasize enough how important the mental healthcare part of aftercare is--find a good therapist and support group and go regularly.  Without the help of those two things I don't think I'd be nearly as successful as I am.

Good luck and hope to see you losing right along side the rest of us soon!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 4:43 am, edited 12/31/13 4:44 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

If you want VSG, don't worry about what everyone else thinks. You know why you want VSG already just by your own replies in this thread. Look, the RNY works for SOME but the malabsorption, reactive hypoglycemia, bowel obstructions, intestinal/bowel kinks, and all the other issues that appear to occur after RNY just seemed to keep going on and on. The list of issues that could happen appear to be a LOT longer than VSG! I know most people don't have those issues, but they happen enough to make me nervous. My sister had RNY and is one of the biggest success stories I've ever seen. She's kept off all the weight for about 8 years now! But she's had chronic iron problems that are severe enough to warrant infusions. I know this could happen with the VSG, but the odds are in our favor to be much less likely. The VSG was far less risky in my mind for my future. I also did NOT want a stoma. I like my pyloric valve. The RNY stoma can stretch out significantly and pretty much make it like you are never full. I don't think my pyloric valve is going to do that :-). And also, VSG put my type 2 diabetes in remission.

As far as the DS goes, it's a great surgery. BUT there are some downsides to it and all you have to do is read their forums for a while and you will see. Are the downsides they encounter outweighed by the positives they incur? That would be an individual decision.  Yes the weight loss is greater and the weight kept off is greater USUALLY. But, to be honest, I've seen some DS'ers with 50-75-100 lb. regains so it's NOT foolproof.

If you want the VSG, no one else's opinion matters but your own. :-) Best wishes.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 75 views