Unrealistic goals

Imakitekat
on 1/3/14 11:16 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year!

i am down to 241 and 15 pounds away from my half way mark a little over 3 months out!  Yay!  What I want to ask :  is it unrealistic for me to want to be at my goal of 130 by April 1 st?  That means I would hit my goals in 6 months time. I am still in physical therapy from a car wreck I was in last part of October, so I know I am losing slower than if I could be doing much more intense exercise and have made peace with that.  I just wonder if it is too much too fast and I should spread it out more.  I don't want to be unrealistic about what a body after surgery is capable of.  Also spoke with my mom tonight, she is really proud of me but is worried that that is too much to lose in a short amount of time and wondered if maybe my expectations are a bit too high! What do you think? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Smiles:),

Lisa

happyteacher
on 1/3/14 11:47 am

Just my opinion here...

I would gently recommend to drop the timeline.  Instead, focus on making your great choices and on making your final goal.  Just don't quite until you get there!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Imakitekat
on 1/4/14 5:19 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Thanks for your response. I think I agree, I need to stop obsessing so much! I just keep hearing how much harder it will be to get to my goal if I don't get there within a certain timeframe and it's hard enough as it is, thank you very much, lol, I don't need harder.....one thing at a time!

Lisa

themexcellentone
on 1/3/14 12:30 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

From 241 to 130 is a big drop in such a short amount of time.  You may want to re-evaluate that goal and set it to something more realistic.  Remember, the more you lose, the harder it gets to lose large amounts of weight.  That kind of loss averages out to roughly 30 pounds a month when you think about it, which is a pound a day.  That's an awful, awful lot for a prolonged period of time given your (current) start weight.

I would set a smaller goal for a shorter period of time, and repeat that behavior until you get to your goal.  Smaller chunks are more manageable and easier to accomplish.

Best of luck. :)  You will get to goal as long as you keep working your plan and your sleeve.  Don't worry if it doesn't happen in your desired timeframe so long as it happens.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Imakitekat
on 1/4/14 5:52 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Yes, I know it's a big drop, as you can tell I am feeling a bit impatient and excited.  It's hard to know what realistic is when the weight is dropping so fast.  As I noted above my biggest concern I think is that I keep reading on the posts if you don't get to goal by the first 6-9 months your body starts catching up and it becomes even harder to lose it.  But yes when you look at it a pound a day your right that is a lot.  I will just keep trying as hard as I can and see what happens! Thanks for responding, your doing great too, by the way!

Lisa

G5x5
on 1/3/14 2:19 pm - VA

Sorry, but I'd say that was a real stretch.  It's fun in the beginning to watch it melt away, but it's also easier because there is a lot to work with.  However, you are talking 90+ pounds to go still and things won't always be so easy.  It will continually taper off as you approach your target, and that's if everything goes well.

Because everyone's journey is different, its hard to give you an exact timeframe to expect, but roughly speaking I'd say you have at least 9-12 months to go still.  Again, that is if everything stays on track.  You also have to consider that getting to 130 from your starting point is a highly aggressive goal.  It's doable, but you're asking to loose something like 100% of your excess weight.

The good news is that, if you stay on the program, the probability of getting to goal is high.  It will just take time, and probably a lot more exercise towards the end.  The worst part of this whole process is easily having to manage the impatience and the element of the unknown around "how much" and "when".

i don't want to discourage you, but a three month target seemed a little to unreasonable to let pass without comment.  However, if you keep it up, you could possibly hit onederland by 4/1.  Just imagine how great that would be for you!

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Imakitekat
on 1/4/14 6:01 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Thanks for the feedback!  I have a hard time understanding the excess weight loss thing, have never been good with numbers, but yes wonderland will be awesome!  I want to be under 200 so bad, it has been way too long!  I'm not discouraged, just needed a reality check!

Lisa

G5x5
on 1/4/14 10:12 pm - VA

The best I can tell you is that weight is actually irrelevant, but it's hard to see that until you loss like 80% of your excess weight.

Eventually, you learn that it's really all about body fat percentages and that weight is a secondary measurement.  In the beginning, you loose rapidly because the gap between maintenance calories and calories eaten is quite large.  That allows for big weight loss numbers from week to week which you see on the scale results; however, it's masking the underlying change in BF% unless you have a scale that tracks that for you also.

What you notice, if you have such a scale, is that there are limits on how much BF% you can lose from one day to the next! and that limit drops as you get closer to optimal weight.  For example, in my case at this point, a change of 1-1/2 pounds is an entire % of BF; however, on average, i see a drop of 0.1% BF per day. You can work the math backwards and see how slow weight loss is in the final stage.

So what's happening to you is that you're on the higher end of the process currently headed down towards the lower end.  Loosing big numbers monthly is still very doable, but getting to 130 requires a very high level of success and will just take time.  I don't see any reason you can't reach 130, it's just a question of time.

For what it's worth, I built a spreadsheet model back in July to track my results which predicted my weight on 1/1/14 to within 2 pounds.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

mickeymantle
on 1/3/14 2:21 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is possible but weight loss usually slows down with time , the less you weigh the less you burn , you can add more exercise and cut calories to compensate  but it would be hard to loss 30 lb a month long term 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Imakitekat
on 1/4/14 6:04 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Yep, I didn't think about it like that! I will just keep pressing on and reevaluate my goals!  Thanks for the response!

Lisa

Most Active