Back at the old grind stone...

Annievvho
on 1/5/14 1:40 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I started back to work last week. It's been a bit of an adjustment - having a month off sure did make me lazy! I still have one more week of lift restriction, then I SHOULD be back to full strength. I say should, because when I went back to work I expected to feel tired. I expected my abdominal muscles to feel sore. I even expected to feel my normal hip, knee, and foot pain and discomfort (which has been significantly less, surprisingly enough). What I didn't expect was the back pain! It's pretty bad right around the middle of my back. I would actually assume it was a kidney problem if it weren't for the cir****tances. I have tried taking liquid Tylenol, but I'm about ready to give that up. It is WAY too sweet, which bothers me for at least 2 reasons - it makes me queasy and the carbs have to bee way too high. I've about decided I can take regular Tylenol now, though. I do feel though that I'm probably better at keeping to an appropriate food schedule when working, though. It's easier when the rest of your day is scheduled to schedule your food. I didn't lose any weight this week, which was really disappointing, but I figure I probably let some of my muscles atrophy a little since I was walking, but my endurance was crap and so I also spent a lot of time resting while out of work. I am lucky that I have very understanding coworkers. Ok, that's about it for my update. If anyone has any words of wisdom about my back, please feel free to share.

katym
on 1/5/14 2:24 pm - PA

Hi Annievvho,

Happy New Year!

I remember being exhausted when I went back to my desk job 2 weeks after surgery; everyone assured me that it was normal. However I was just tired--I did not have any pain at that point. You are already 5 weeks out. Have you contacted your doctor about the back pain? Definitely do not start lifting until your back pain has subsided and/or a professional has checked it out.

Keep warm and well, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Annievvho
on 1/5/14 8:57 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I do not have a desk job. I am on my feet all day. It only hurts when I'm standing. 

Jackie T.
on 1/5/14 10:08 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Instead of the medication route you might try a patch on your back.  I have gotten relief from them when I have hurt my back.  You might want to follow up with your doctor though to see if something else is going on.  When I had gallbladder problems it was in my back.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 97 views