Vitamins

rissa1224
on 1/7/14 9:17 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I know I dont post on here a lot but I do try to peek in every so often.

Well I have another question about the lovely vitamins again. I am too poor to spend $100 a freakin month on powder vitamins suggested by my old NUT - I will have a new NUT as soon as my new insurance kicks in. She is actually my co-workers NUT who just had her VSG =)

My co workers NUT said to take 2 flinstones with iron vitamins a day plus 2 vita fusion calcium gummy vitamins a day- it has D3 in it as well.

I there anything else I should be taking or is this okay?

Jackie T.
on 1/7/14 9:32 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You might be careful about taking the flintstones and the calcium at the same time.  I take regular over the counter pills for these things now but I did use to take chewables in the beginning.  I have always done generic vitamins.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

rissa1224
on 1/7/14 9:44 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

YIKES!! What would be the reason to not take them together? I can prevent that from now on, I only started taking them yesterday. I will also have to tell my co-worker. She is only 3 wks post op

Jackie T.
on 1/7/14 10:04 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Others have posted it about it but it has something to do with the absorption of the calcium.  You need to spread them out at least two hours.  I think it is that the iron blocks the absorption of the calcium or the other way around.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

claimmaster
on 1/7/14 10:04 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

The iron in the vitamin makes the calcium less effective.  Take one in the morning and one at night.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/7/14 10:07 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I think there's an absorption issue with calcium and iron?  or is it B12? I think they cancel each other out.  Also, you have to space out your vitamins.  You can't absorb all of the vitamins we have to take in one sitting. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Keith L.
on 1/7/14 10:21 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That should be plenty. By now you should be getting a lot of what you need from whole foods. Make sure to eat your veggies. Unless you have a hard time swallowing pills any regular multi-vitamin or better yet a multi for women (like centrum) would work fine. You are well past the need for "bariatric" vitamins. Those are really for the bypass crowd anyway. I just buy the generic drugstore brand of multi. If you read the back they are usually trying to make up for the generic brand by having higher percentages of vitamins. Also if you have the Rainbow brand in your drugstore, based on my research those are actually the best bang for the buck brand that I have found. I bit more money but much better vitamin and better quality from what I have read.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

rissa1224
on 1/7/14 10:37 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

As always, you're the best!

Gail D.
on 1/7/14 11:36 pm

I buy all my vitamins through Puritan Pride, and they have been great. Especially when you can get in the "Buy One, Get One"... or as they had this week "Buy two, get three". And they guarantee satisfaction. I posted a review about the chewable iron I bought (so nasty tasting, I just couldn't make myself chew them up), and the 'easy to swallow' mini Calcium I couldn't swallow. They weren't as long as a regular pill, which is why they were toted as mini, but they were fatter and they felt stuck. Since I had to take 6 a day because of the low dosage, it didn't work for me.

Puritan called me after I posted the reviews, and issued a 100% refund. They didn't ask for the vitamins back, just gave me credit. So, it may be a much more affordable site for you.

I take Calcium mid morning and mid afternoon, and I take a glucosamine chondroitin supplement (That's my choice, not my NUT). Then I take a chewable multi-vitamin and biotin at night. They recommend iron as well if you are a woman and pre-menopausal, but I don't take more than what is in my multi. Don't take iron and calcium at the same time. I don't remember which blocks which, but one blocks the absorption of the other.

The first time I bought vitamins at Puritan Pride, I bought two huge bottles of multi vitamins, plus calcium chewables, iron chewables, biotin chewables, and chewable melatonin... cost me a total of about $73. I haven't even finished the first bottle of vitamins and that was 3 months ago, so they last a long time. Not bad cost, really.

http://www.Puritan.com

theladyelsie
on 1/7/14 11:58 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

My NUT had said to take flintstones as well but when I posted that on a bariatric facebook group I got owned by so many people telling me I needed to do my research, they would never go to a doctor that recommended flintstones, blah blah blah.

So if I go with a regular vitamin as I am 5 months out now do I still need to take two multis a day in addition to my calcium or just one?

Thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views