Chances of complication

RissaCup
on 1/22/14 4:01 am

So straight up -  im 26 years old -  former bulimic -  I have anxiety and gastritis- no other health concerns (no diabetes, sleep apnea but have family hisotry of heart issues)- I had pvc's during my first surgery (a tonsillectomy) - weight is 275 and BMI is 47.5.,... I'm more worried about anesthesia ... anyone have any thoughts

Karissa H 5'4.5" | A 27 | HW 311 | SW 270 CW 142.4 | GW #1 147 | GW #2 133 comparison          

civilmomma
on 1/22/14 4:21 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I've had 2 surgeries as an obese young adult (ACL and Gallbladder) and have not had complications from the anesthesia.

I had both in my 20s - at 250 pounds then 340 pounds (BMI 52ish) - the anesthesiologist will speak with you before surgery and can explain everything.  They do something extra to block aspiration of vomit since I have motion sickness and dizziness - and I get an anti nausea med too.

Your pre-surgery physical will be the final check on your general health - and your anesthesiologist should be notified of your heart concerns when they prep for your surgery.  I would definitely mention the former bulimia as it may have some connection to gag/vomiting from anesthesia so it would be a good idea to make the anesthesiologist aware of that concern.

Good Luck!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Annievvho
on 1/22/14 1:20 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I'm 27, had no previous surgeries, and no complications besides nausea barely controlled by Zofran the first day, and some acid/gas pain. I too have disordered eating behavior history, including some anorexic tendencies, flirted with bulimia (but when I throw up, my gag reflex is terrible, noisy, and hard on my vessels, so it was too obvious when I tried) and serious problem with binge eating disorder. My addiction though is more to control, and this surgery and all the educating myself that I have done provide me with the ability to control without doing harm. Make sure you put yourself in that same situation. It was hard not to let myself be happy about throwing up while my stomach was in early healing stages. 

cece58
on 1/22/14 1:47 pm - CA

I always have been afraid of anesthesia as well. The doctor doesn't want any complications either so if they feel you can't handle it, they won't do it. However, you should interview the Anesthesologist and talk with the surgeon about your concerns. Know who your doctors are and ask questions. Find an excellent doctor who does lots of VSG's and has a strong follow up plan for you. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views