Never thought I'd say this

mkvand
on 1/27/14 9:13 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

But I'm not eating enough fat.  I've been working on reaching my protein and fluid goals, and of course the shakes are either low or no fat.  As a result, I'm getting less than 10 grams of fat a day, and that includes taking an omega 3 supplement.  My doctor didn't give me a goal for fat, but he did for calories, protein, and carbs.  When I do the math for those, and look at what's left over, it comes out that I should be eating about 28 grams of fat a day.  Why does this matter?  Low fat can lead to dry, flaky skin, lack of satiety, BM problems, feeling really cold, mental fatigue, mood problems, and hormone disruption. 

In theory I should have enough fat reserves to avoid these, and yet I'm having problems with several of them.  It makes me wonder how much of what we consider normal after surgery is due to inadequate fat consumption, because I've seen posts from other people describing some of the same problems.  So now, in addition to working on my protein, I'm going to work on getting the recommended amount of fat and see what happens.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

pineview01
on 1/28/14 1:30 pm - Davison, MI

Not sure how far out you are but at first I only counted protein, calories and carbs.  I didn't worry about fat but I never did low fat.  The NUT wanted me to but, I eat full fat foods as I believe we need good fats for the reasons you stated.  The NUT called for low fat everything but, I eat regular cheese, cottage cheese and 1% or 2% milk.  (In the olden days before man bred for higher milk fat content 2% WAS whole milk)

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views