Xylitol will cause cravings!

claudiaes
on 2/5/14 12:16 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

sorry about the really long post!

I was sleeved on 11/18/13 and so far I've been doing really good, 100% compliant, measuring all my foods in a scale and following a really strict food plan which I have followed to T and have not deviated at all.

Here is my daily menu, which I follow every day ( the first 2 months I was juicing in the mornings but my juice contained an apple so I have cut that out thanks to Elina! and my loses are much better! )

7 am - tea or coffee with stevia with a coop of beneprotein, disgusting but it has 0 carbs 

8 am - egg white omellete (made with 1/4 cup of egg whites and some veggies, generally onions, onions tomatoes, spinach or mushrooms, NEVER chesse or oil)

12 (noon) - 1.5~2 ounces of chicken breast and maybe 2 grape tomatoes 

4 pm- 1.5~2 ounces of fish with a couple table spoons of onions in lime juice

8 pm- 1.5~2 ounces of eye of round roast in the slow cooker with low sodium beef broth and some onions (to make some sort of grave in the vitamix)

I drink around 2 liters of water a day, including teas and a cup of coffee in the morning.

The past two days I have had terrible and I mean TERRIBLE cravings at night, which I felt were really unusual as I haven't had them or felt hungry since I got operated and I normally have to push myself to eat my protein. 

I started looking at my food intake to se what was going on, why was I feeling this way and I realized that the past 2 days I had 2 xylitol lollipops each day, that was the only change in my diet.

Not only they triggered my cravings but my binge eating, which I've had a really hard time getting under control with teraphy and self control, I did eat a piece of chocolate on monday and I felt like a failure and I raided the kitchen for food, thank god my sleeve is pretty new and since I already had my protein nothing else could go in, so I picked myself up and tuesday I was back to my regular diet but last night it was the same thing I didn't give in this time but it was extremely hard. 

After the sleeve I have felt so in control over my body and what I put in my mouth, which I have never felt before the sleeve and the craving and raiding the kitchen made me feel like before and it was really hard mentally, not in control and being controlled by food once again.

I have of course put everything with xylitol in the garbage and I just recomend everyone to be really careful with it.

thanks for reading this long post and I wish everyone the best in their journey! 

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/5/14 3:52 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I was looking for something to help me with my ketosis breath and bought some SF Dentyne Ice gum. Bad move. The sorbitol, matitol and mannitol in it are all sugar alcohols and seriously messed with me. Besides the obvious intestinal distress, they made me crave sugary crap bad.

I keep a very close eye on products with sugar alcohols in them now. As tempting as it may seem to get SF candies, they are totally not worth it because of the head hunger they incite.

claudiaes
on 2/5/14 10:37 pm - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

exactly, so not worth it, it took me two days to feel normal and in control again! 

minabelinda
on 7/21/18 6:41 am

I just wanted to add a note that the same thing happened to me with Xylitol. Everything was going well with my diet until I started having xylitol regularly, I measured it on the scale 9 grams in a cup of tea twice a day, so just 18 grams of Xylitol per day. Started having severe sugar and carb cravings beyond the point of control. I am not sure if this is a common problem, but it has been very distinctive.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views