Question for VSG vets

kellma699
on 2/7/14 11:28 am
VSG on 02/04/14

How long did it take for your external abdominal swelling to go down? I have a huge amount and I'm hoping to be able to put on my jeans Monday morning for school. I am not looking forward to wearing yoga pants as they are not warm and it is a long walk from my car to my first class! I know everyone heals at a different rate. I am just trying to get a general idea of a time frame. I might have to go buy some warm sweats before Monday.

I am only 4 days out at this point and it almost seems that the swelling has increased. Also, TMI, but I haven't had a BM since Tuesday morning before my surgery. That might be contributing to the bloat and swelling as well.

kellma699
on 2/7/14 11:30 am
VSG on 02/04/14

Oh and I forgot to mention that I am getting in my minimum of 64oz water and then some. Also getting in my goal of at least 60 protein, so I'm doing fine in that regard.

slimpickins5280
on 2/7/14 11:46 am - CO

I didn't even consider jeans for the first month unless I had no other choice in clothing. I only wore things that were tight on my stomach when I had no other choice. I found that the day would start out fine, but after a couple of hours the pants would start feeling pretty painful on my stomach. 

You might be fine. Who knows. But, I would have a plan B available - just in case. 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

kellma699
on 2/7/14 11:54 am
VSG on 02/04/14

My plan B might be to just go buy a few things. I hate to do it, but I only have one pair of thin yoga pants and one sweatshirt. Ughhh...didn't want to have to spend money on clothes that will be useless to me in a month or so. I might just buy men's sweats and give them to my husband when I'm done.

hollykim
on 2/8/14 1:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

goodwill and thrift stores are your friends...

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/7/14 11:59 am, edited 2/7/14 11:59 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I bought men's sweats at Walmart. At my highest weight, 5' 4"  274, I was in a men's xl..now at 216 I'm in a men's large and they are getting pretty loose. I think they cost like $6 a pair.

mickeymantle
on 2/7/14 2:31 pm, edited 2/7/14 2:31 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your brave going to school within a week of surgery most people get diarria from all the liquid diet

don't be surprised if your whole belly turns purplr and yellow , bruisiung from the surgery takes about a week to come to the surface

go to good will and get a pair of warm sweats

be careful driving  and don't drive on pain meds , the anasisia  can effect you for more than a week 

email your teachers and tell them you just had surgery and may have to run to the bathroom in the middle of class

it is normal not to have a bm in a week or more ,  your probly took a laxative before surgery to empty yourself out and have only beem drinking liquids

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

kellma699
on 2/7/14 2:47 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

I can leave class at any time to use the restroom. I was thinking about going back yesterday but since I had all of my work done, I decided to just stay home and rest. My hubby is a full time student too so he can drive me to and from.

I didn't take a stool softener pre op. I had a BM that morning. I'm praying since I took the M.O.M. that I will go in the morning. I have the craziest rumblings and loud noises coming from my guts! I'm sure it will be embarrassing if it goes off like that in class, lol.

I don't have abdominal bruising yet. Thanks for the heads up. I do have bruises all up and down my arms and on the top of my hands. It took the nurses 7 tries before they gave up and finally had the anesthesiologist put the IV in. That was the worst part of my surgery experience thus far.

Escape_Pod
on 2/8/14 7:58 am

Sorry to say it, but it took almost 5 weeks to be able to get back into the work clothes I was wearing pre-surgery.  Don't get me wrong, the water retention went away, and my scale numbers were gratifying, but I was so swollen.  I was really lucky and had a friend who had some loose things I could borrow for a few weeks. 

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

happyteacher
on 2/8/14 7:59 am

Swelling lasted around 6 weeks for me, but the weight loss didn't take too long to offset that in size of clothing-

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views