Will my mom's costs be covered under Dr. Aceves?

Chopstick_Chick
on 2/22/14 12:43 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 05/29/14

My mom and I will be traveling down to Mexico for my VSG surgery. I haven't booked a date yet, but we are 99% sure we want to go to Dr. Aceves after all the wonderful things we have heard about him. I know that all my needs will be covered by the cost of the surgery, but my mom wants to know if hers will be as well? She wants to know if her meals will be paid for while I am in the hospital, and if she will have a hotel room to go back to while I am in the hospital for those few days? I read somewhere before about Dr. Aceves that the companions costs are covered, but they updated their website since then and I cannot find the itemized list of what exactly is covered under the surgery cost. Can anybody who has gone to Dr. Aceves with a companion tell us if my mom's costs are covered or not?

mickeymantle
on 2/22/14 1:04 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is best to call the surgeons office to see what is covered my guess is that her food would not be covered , the room might be rented for the whole time your down there , remember to not drink the water unless it is bottled or from a hotel that filters there water , Mexico is notorious  for having strange  germs that get foreigners  sick  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/22/14 1:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Her meals are not covered and the hotel only for the night you're there. There's a leather sofa in your room for her to sleep on and they'll provide bedding and towels for her. Besides having my own VSG done by Dr Aceves I traveled as support person for a friend, my husband, then my daughter, so I'm pretty familiar with the drill.

She'll find the food in the hospital cafeteria good and fairly inexpensive. They're great about packing up leftovers to take back to the room. I took an extension cord, a small kettle, instant oatmeal, dry bean soup, some RTD protein shakes and an assortment of herbal teas with me when I was the support person and found them really helpful.
Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

jubjub
on 2/22/14 3:44 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Listen to Kelly-Anne - she really does know the drill and has been there three times, and I echo exactly what she says... you're mom can sleep in your room OR stay at the hotel - but she'd have to pay for the hotel (not super expensive) and her own meals (cheap).

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

serenity1959
on 2/23/14 1:59 pm
VSG on 08/05/13

Kelly-Anne is correct.  Your mom will have to pay for her meals.   I went as the support person for my best friend this month and slept just fine on the sofa in her room.   The menu at the hospital restaurant was good and they had some low cal choices, which were excellent.   However, do not order their oatmeal!   :-)

HW 275  SW 266

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views