with tears i post ..head hunger help wanted

dancermom2_7
on 3/4/14 9:00 am - OH

Please help...I am one week post op..still in pain and not meeting goals. I still 100% regret the surgery. It's been aweful. Had a lot of issues and a complication...just done. I also am starving...although I'm not. I have head hunger. I can't turn my brain off. What do I do.... Please help. I am so weak and dizzy sigh!!!!. Even with losing 17#the first week..it didn't make up for how I feel...which is aweful...like I am dying...I have no strength! 

I am also freezing and emotional. But I just want some tips and tricks to deal with this head hunger

HW 276 GW140  CW248

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/4/14 9:08 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

There's always therapy.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

lsereno
on 3/4/14 9:11 am - CA

The first few weeks are the hardest, in my opinion. You're healing from surgery, hormones are flowing from rapid weight loss, and eating and drinking are a struggle.

For the head hunger, sip warm tea, apply lotion, lipgloss and perfume, and distract yourself. Are you taking an acid blocker, such as Prilosec?

For the chill in your bones, Heat your blanket in the dryer a few minutes. Buy thicker socks and pants. Layer sweaters and shirts. 

For the tiredness, be sure you are meeting fluid and protein goals. Get up and walk around every couple of hours. And give yourself time and space to heal and get a good start on your new life. Foist off as many tasks as you can. You can make up for it later when you feel better. 

Avoid anything that is emotionally draining if at all possible. Now is not the time to get in a big discussion with anyone about life changes, etc.

It was about 4 months before I really had my strength back. I burst into tears a couple of day after coming home from the hospital. I was always cold. 

Be kind to yourself. It will help you get through this time.

Lynda

Jackie T.
on 3/4/14 11:31 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

This is great advice! 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Mike_1964
on 3/4/14 9:13 am

Keep your eye on the goal.  Use some productive/positive activities to distract from the head hunger.  Make a goal list.  Just small short team goals.  Loss 30 lbs by end of week 2 post op.  Be able to do something you been struggling with just a little easier.  Perhaps start looking for what could be your new spring closes on line.  That will keep you focus and hopefully distracted.  Just read all these wonderful posting from all these supportive folks. 

Hang in there.  Tomorrow will be a little better and the next day better again. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

Mike_1964
on 3/4/14 9:16 am

I like it.  Window shopping for new close on the web while wrapped in a blanket that just came out of the dryer with a cup of tea by my side.  Nice. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 9:42 am - Canada

It gets better.  Just keep reminding yourself of that.  My hubby bought me a heated mattress pad and it keeps me nice and warm at night.  I also used microwavable bags to warm up my feet and chest to get rid of that chilled to the bone feeling.  Warm tea went down much easier then anything else.  Remember you had major surgery...which means 4-6 weeks of healing.  Take it one day at a time.  The hormones are a b*tch!

dancermom2_7
on 3/4/14 10:05 am - OH

Thank you everyone...I have eaten popsicles today those go down easiest... Hot tea too....I can't do strained cream soup because I also have celiac. I tried chicken tortilla soup broth it was good but the spice didn't agree with me... I just feel like I hit a wall at every turn. I still have my picc line in...and the Dr wants it there another 2weeks...thank you for the words and it feels Better to know I am not alone

HW 276 GW140  CW248

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/4/14 10:33 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Hormones, hunger and pain! You might be dizzy because of dehydration..it's very serious and you should be drinking as much as possible all day long. The food can wait, the fluids cannot. Warm drinks like broth were helpful to me. How about a nice hot shower? That's a calming activity. If you are still in pain use your pain meds but some people do not react to them well and they feel worse when they take them. That's going to have to be your call.  

Head hunger..try and keep yourself busy..or sleep. It was MAJOR surgery! It took me weeks to feel semi-normal although I see plenty of people on here that were ready to rule the world one week post op. That was not me. At all. Cut yourself some slack, keep hydrated and know that it does get better. If you feel like you're getting worse, call your surgeon or on call RN and see if they want you to go to ER.

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/4/14 11:13 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I wish I could give you better advice, but the bad news is it's going to suck for a little bit longer.  The good news is that it gets better, easier, and your brain will adapt.  Keep drinking as much water as you can get in your body- it'll help you feel fuller and help turn off your head.  Beyond that, you need to fight this battle.  Find someone to scream, cry, and talk to who will let it all fall away.  Go to a suport group.  Never ever give up.

You've made it this far.  Think of what you've endured.  You can do this. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views