Alcohol- I was a drinker

edelu
on 3/12/14 9:25 am - los angeles, CA

Okay,

I just had to read your post again to make sure I was not hallucinating the first time but it seems to me that you got permission to have a drink at 6 weeks out and decided it didn't feel good enough to recreate that any time soon.  Is that your point because it seems to me that the sermonizing regarding your post is one that does not make sense.  Reading is fundamental especially if you want to stand in judgment.

Since I do like a ****tail I'll relate my story for what it's worth.

I didn't drink for the first six months then it came back in in much the same way it was there before I had surgery.  Same amount, same effect.  I've maintained my weight.  The one thing I do is that I keep it to the weekends and if I do have a glass or two during the week then I don't over the weekend. 

I also don't do anything high calorie. It's generally wine or cognac straight up. I used to do a Mojito before surgery but the simple syrup killed that.  My friends who have paychecks tied to their waistlines do vodka martini's with mint and club soda. I am glad I gave myself the six months because it's often more difficult to not put something in my mouth when I'm drinking, so there's that.

Cheers Joy,

You got this.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/12/14 10:40 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

If the first paragraph was directed to me... Joy may have had one and realized it wasn't something she was going to do again right now (which is great) but re-read the thread and note the person 8 weeks out, the people under 6 months out, etc.

I sure as heck was polite, and even referenced why I was surprised certain members hadn't weighed in (those calories and carbs), etc.

For what it is worth... Wine ranges between 107-275 calories a glass. Enjoy your wine. I do but be informed. Wine can be very high calorie comparitively:

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

edelu
on 3/12/14 11:04 am - los angeles, CA

Oh well, now I'm fully informed.

lil1inside
on 3/12/14 10:35 am
VSG on 07/10/13

I was worried when I heard that the alcohol would really hit you like  a ton of bricks after wls.  I don't find this to be true in my case that is.  But I'm not a heavy drinker.  I decided that when I occasionally go out with a friend that I'd have a shot of jameson then a "few sips" of diet coke.  I know this wouldn't work for some and they'd not be able to stop at the few sips of the diet coke, but I have no problem with that, then later I'll have a full non sweetened iced tea--this works for me and makes for a relaxing time.

Denise
"

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Most Active