Weird feeling when I eat fruit

rissa1224
on 3/24/14 12:13 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

So, my OLD NUT told me not to have fruit for the 1st 12 months. I am now almost 16 months post op and I have seen a new surgeon and NUT (since my old surgeon moved too far away) and the new NUT told me that was untrue. She wants me to add fruit in. I had a sugar free fruit cup on Friday and felt like death. I was SO uncomfortable, I felt like I was FULL of air that would NOT leave. One time I had almost a whole apple and felt SO full for hours. It ruined my eating the rest of the day.

Is this normal? Any way to get fruit in aside from that? Not all fruits bother me, but I know that I am uncomfortable with apples, grapes, pineapple, and now those fruit cups.

Keith L.
on 3/24/14 12:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Rissa,

Scrap fruit cups, especially sugar free because they are not. The fruit itself has sugar so it is fruit in sugar free syrup which is probably not agreeing with you. If you are going to be adding fruit back into your diet you should be eating whole foods, not processed cups. Eat an apple with the skin for the fiber. Bananas are good for post-workout. You can eat berries and cantaloupe at any time. Most other fruits like oranges and sweeter melons are really too high in sugar for us. I would particularly stay away from oranges even though they are good source of fiber and vitamin c you can get them both from other veggies. Oranges are one of the highest sugar content of all fruits. If you are still using ketosis to lose weight then I would stick with your original surgeon's advice and stay away from fruit for now. If you are at goal and maintaining your weight then lower glycemic fruits like the ones I mentioned. Bananas are not low glycemic but like I said good for a post-workout snack/recovery.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

rissa1224
on 3/24/14 1:28 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Thanks Keith! No more fruit cups. Regular fruit just makes me blah. Maybe I need to eat 1/4 of it, not half? I am still looking to losing for sure, I am not near my goal yet. I have 10lbs until I reach my 'first' goal of 175lbs. But my surgeon thinks I should get to 150lbs. I am at 185lb now. I don't work out which doesn't help me. I was stalled but finally broke a stall and lost 8lbs. Now I seem to be at another stall, which is okay. I am trying to up my protein again, and liquids since I totally struggle on drinking. I always have. I hardly eat fruit because of the way it makes me feel. I do eat tons of veggies for sure though.

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/14 1:41 am - Canada

If you are happy with veggies and fruit is making you feel ick then don't force it to make your NUT happy.  Veggies are better for you and don't carry the large amounts of sugar.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views