My goals after surgery

gabby169kitty
on 3/26/14 6:21 am

I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I want to live my life post-surgery. Treadmills get boring, elliptical machines get boring all the gym stuff gets boring. I think the only way I'll be successful with exercise is if I make it a part of my daily life. Like ride my bike to the store, get more active doing stuff like geocaching and all the walking and climbing that requires. Only train for specific events like the annual mud run/obstacle course. Make exercise fun and exciting. Go on bike rides with my niece or go to the big indoor bouncy house play place and be able to run around with her. 

I need to get myself started on some kind of exercise routine now. I really like yoga and love doing the sun salutation sequence. It can be done fast for cardio or slow for more of a contemplative mood or done for endurance, an easy way to measure progress. The downward facing dog reallly aggravates my reflux.  Maybe later add the moon salutation sequence for closing down my day. I also like the idea of all those 30 day challenges floating around on facebook, crunches, squats... the new one going around is planking and gradually increasing the time you can hold the position.

I also want to express my creativity through making my own clothes. At my current weight it's hard to make things that don't look ridiculous. I have a board on pinterest of ideas on how to alter existing clothing. Hello thrift store!!

Making meals with multiple dishes is difficult at best for me due to some neurological issues. What I find appealing about the post vsg diet is that meals are simple and I can focus on the main dish and heat up some veggies on the side. I may actually enjoy cooking!

I am looking forward to not getting so darn tired doing simple tasks. I have the neurological issues that make things more challenging and I'm sure the excess weight only adds to that.

I have my consult on Monday!!! They've already verified insurance coverage. I'll find out their pre-op plan for me and get things scheduled. My work schedule is quite light right now so it's a good time to get it all in and not have to work around a busy work schedule.

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 3/26/14 10:04 am

Lots of good luck!  Another option for other workouts are Wii DVDs.  I've used those for exercise on any day I can't get outside.  There is such variety, such as Zumba, I found this to be a great option, at least for me. 

gabby169kitty
on 3/26/14 10:39 am, edited 3/26/14 10:41 am

I don't have a Wii but I do have youtube, talk about variety!  I also have some DVDs, including Richard Simmon's Dance to the Oldies. As corny as he can be the videos are fun!

Kathy8429
on 3/26/14 11:10 am

Can I ask about your neurological issue?  Only because I have MS so I'm sometimes limited on what I can do because of some neurological deficits. I have found that walking has been easy to incorporate. It might scare someone watching because sometimes I walk like I've thrown back a few, and I'll have to make adjustments with summer coming. But you're very right about making your exercise easy to incorporate into your everyday life. Good luck, KathyKathy

gabby169kitty
on 3/26/14 11:29 am

The wiring in my frontal lobes is out of whack. Planning the sequencing of things, especially cooking more than 1 thing at a time, is difficult. Instead of signal going from point A to point B  it goes from A to D to 24 to Q then to B. It also takes me a long time to process new information. When I had some testing done the tester read me a story then I had to repeat back all the details I remembered. Normally, people remember more right away than they do 30 minutes later, but not me, it's like the story had to process through my brain for a while and I remembered more 30 minutes later.

Also, my inner ear was somehow damaged so my balance is not good. This combined with sequencing issues makes traditional aerobic workouts very difficult. By the time I can get something down, the instructor moves on to something different. It's frustrating. I like flow/vinyasa yoga because it's usually slower and it's pretty predictable. I've taken classes in a yoga studio so I should be able to do the vids on youtube and not have to watch much. It's really hard to watch a video while doing yoga.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views