How Long Does Hair Loss Last?

hope123
on 3/26/14 12:49 pm, edited 3/26/14 1:29 pm - MO
Hi Guys, as most people who have weight loss surgery, I started having hair loss at 4 months post-op. It's at it's worst right now at 5 months post-op. About how long does this last? I've tried for years to get my hair to grow out. Mine takes a long time to grow, because it's fine so it breaks easily, and it's currently a few inches below my shoulders. I've been so frustrated with hair loss that I've come extremely close to making a hair appointment and getting a shorter haircut to see if that helps. Has anyone else done this, and does it help? I just wonder how long this is going to last? When it stops, do you get a lot of new hair growth?

One thing I don't understand is I heard we lose hair rapidly because we're not getting enough protein, but if that's what we're mostly eating and drinking post-op, shouldn't we be doing better then before surgery, since that's mainly what we're eating and drinking now?

Thank you in advance everyone!
themexcellentone
on 3/26/14 12:50 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I'm nearly 9 months out and my hair loss has slowed considerably.  My new hair is growing in quite nicely and thick too.  My doc said the hair loss would slow down around month #9.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

hope123
on 3/26/14 12:54 pm - MO
Wow, your doctor was right on the nose then! I'm still debating whether I should get my hair cut, or if I'll regret it. It's something I'll have to think a little more about. I just think it's going to start looking really flat and lifeless pretty soon.
themexcellentone
on 3/26/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I had my hair cut back in August, before school started.  I JUST got it cut again last week because I was terrified of having it look patchy because I'd lost so much hair.  It looks much, much better now!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

hope123
on 3/26/14 1:22 pm - MO
It's good to hear you like your new style! I think short hair looks better then super thin hair, so it's something I'm strongly considering. Thank you for letting me know.
sillymilly
on 3/26/14 1:11 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Months 4,5 and 6 were the bad ones for me.  I'm over it now.  I did get a shorter cut, and styled it to make the thinness less noticeable, but I was definitely self-conscious about it for a while.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

hope123
on 3/26/14 1:24 pm - MO
Glad to hear yours got better by month six. I think I may be bald by six months, LOL! My hair is all over my clothes, my house, and it's clogging my shower. Sigh...
FindingMyWeigh
on 3/26/14 11:54 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Same here. I have my kids actively looking for bald spots..no lie. I'm going to have to go shorter with layers soon.  I thought about a wig, but damn those are expensive!  It's hair, it'll grow back..I just wasn't prepared for how much I was going to lose 

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/14 1:34 pm - Canada

I'm having the same problem, except I started losing almost immediately after surgery due to complications. It falls out so much that I can't even blame my dogs for the shedding hair in the house.  I normally have really thick hair.  Well I just discovered that my part which has always been a strong side part goes quite low down the back of my head.  I never knew this because I had a lot of hair to hide it.  Now I can't get my hair to cover it without a whole lot of product.  I keep thinking I'm just cutting it all off but am scared to do so thinking it may look worse. 

This is seriously one of the worst parts of this surgery for me.

hope123
on 3/26/14 1:39 pm - MO
I know how you feel, I think I'm shedding more then my cat now. Yeah, this is a little more scary for women to handle, because our hair seems like such a big part of us, and we don't want to make matters worse, LOL! I'm thinking more and more about a good haircut now though, so we'll see. I want to decide soon.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views