Just curious

Poohkieboo
on 4/2/14 12:09 pm

I was wondering about the percentage of patients that lost a significant amount of weight on their supervised diet, so much so that they canceled their surgery. If you come within say 30 - 40 of your goal weight, would you still go through with the surgery. I think I would. I've lost over 100 lbs 3xs by myself and put it back on each time. I never felt full and always had problems with portion sizes.

mollz007
on 4/2/14 12:41 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

That's definitely a hard question. I lost 15 pounds pre op and that had me rethinking the surgery lol! I don't know... I don't even know if I would have qualified anymore if I lost that much! But assuming that I did... it would be a tough call but I would probably go with it because I know that it would give me the best chance to keep the weight off. I also had problems with portion size pre surgery.

check out my blog!

poplargreys
on 4/2/14 1:22 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm still pre-op and haven't even turned in my packet to the bariatric center yet, still attending seminars and working on establishing better habits so that post-op will be easier. I have lost 35lbs since last December, with at least another 110 to lose before I am close to my first set goal weight, and while I am still seriously considering going for the VSG my husband often remarks about doing it on my own without the surgery.

If I am honest, there are days where I want to be on the operating table, and days where the fears and doubts creep in and that's why I haven't turned in my packet. For right now, as long as the numbers on the scale are moving in the right direction and I'm not experiencing any 'fatigue' in the new activity and diet habits I've worked so hard to establi****'s okay to procrastinate for a little while longer. Yes, I'd lose weight faster with the VSG, but I need to make sure that I am absolutely certain this is the right decision for me.

Blithe1212
on 4/2/14 6:37 pm
VSG on 03/05/14

You are making some good points. I am a new vsg patient but I can tell you I used to be able to lose weight easily, it's the keeping it off and adding another 5 that stinks. You know you can lose it but you also know how easy it is to gain back. My husband also was reluctant for me to have surgery because I was losing pre op. I knew myself, i knew I needed change before I became a diabetic and knew I needed to be a more active mother for my son. Sometimes family is just scared for you, surgery is a big deal. And they also don't like change. As for the comment about losing too much and not being able to get surgery, that didn't effect anything with my program. They go by your highest recorded weight. My BMI was 51 when I started in July 2013. Surgery march 5. Now my BMI is 41. I am amazed. My goal is to be overweight, not morbid. I will tell you it s very hard in the beginning, mostly due to drinking substitute proteins and not being able to guzzle liquids. 

I wish you the best in what ever decision you make. It sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders! Good luck with getting even more healthy.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views