There is hope on a liquid diet!

shopaholic2014
on 4/3/14 10:21 am

I saw my surgeon today- 2 1/2 weeks post-op. He asked about my protein and I admitted I'm getting very little. I have grown to hate the protein shakes and, as if that weren't bad enough, they have started making me gassy and bloated. I have lived on thin liquids (water, tea)... He explained that it's better to get the protein than not so he gave me the okay to blend soups high in protein with equal amounts of broth to thin them out and drink those (well, can't really drink them but get down about 1/4 cup so that's better than nothing). 

Thought I'd share what I've tried so far, as it's been my saving grace!

1) 1 can of Hormel White Chicken Chili (2 g fat and 19 g protein per serving!) blended with 1 cup of chicken broth

2) Sauteed 1/2 cup spinach, 3 cherry tomatoes, 1 T. bacon pieces w/ 1/2 T. butter and garlic powder, 1/2 cup rotisserie chicken well blended w/ 1 cup of chicken broth. 

Since you most likely will only be able to eat a small amount at a time, one of these will last you a few "meals". May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found them to be delicious after weeks of gaggingly sweet drinks!

csbsteph
on 4/3/14 10:53 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

those sound really good, thanks for sharing.  I'm on pureed, soft/flaky foods now surgery was 3/13 but I still enjoy chicken broth sometimes at night.  I'll have to try yours.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/14 3:06 pm

Funny how some titles of posts really hit home.  I still remember living for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery on a liquid diet. You say that there is hope on a liquid diet, I think hope is all I lived on.  Hope, protein shakes, bullion, hot tea, and more hope.  :)  

mkvand
on 4/3/14 5:54 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I was also allowed blended soups, but instead of thinning them with regular broth, I used unjury chicken soup flavor broth to up the protein.  I think it tastes like cup of soup.  I also tried adding unflavored pea protein, but it made all soups taste like split pea.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Most Active