Sleeved on Wednesday, suddenly hungry today!

Healthysleeve2014
on 4/7/14 11:51 am

My VSG surgery was April 2. I just got out of the hospital yesterday due to complications with nausea and vomiting. It's great to be home. Today the nausea is gone and I am hungry!!!  I have been drinking protein drinks, broth with protein and lots of water. I tried some Greek yogurt, it is on the list of "liquid" food my Dr gave me. I feel weird eating it because it's not a drink. I guess it melts as it goes down right?  Did many of you eat yogurt when you were on liquids?

wesman43
on 4/7/14 3:09 pm
VSG on 03/19/14

I definitely ate yogurt.. Some of my favorites were sugar free popsicles and jello.  Also,  atleast for me the feelings, sounds etc really can't be trusted this early. When they cut out your stomach, not only did good bacteria go poof, but so did the substance your body uses to tell you that your hungry

shopaholic2014
on 4/7/14 10:37 pm

I felt exactly the same way so trust me when I say it must be that the nerves have been cut and/ or grehlin is still circulating in the body because I posted on here in the first week post-op, freaking out that I was still hungry and was afraid the surgery was not going to work for me, etc... Now, 3 1/2 weeks post-op, I am struggling to take in much of anything that isn't thin liquid (water and iced tea). I think something looks good (head hunger) but after one or two bites I feel so full that I feel sick, which is a discouragement from eating at all. A few days after surgery, when I did feel hungry, I ate about 1/2 of a low carb (lower sugar) yogurt. It went down okay. Also, pre-op, I added yogurt to my protein shakes before blending which helped with taste and also bumped up the protein.

We'll go through some weird changes on this journey and this site has been the best place in the world for me to ask questions and gain insight. 

Jiliana2
on 4/7/14 10:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I know I've read that some people feel "hunger" shortly after surgery, but it's not really hunger; instead it's acid coming up from the new sleeve. For some, it's resolved by making sure they are taking a prescription acid reducer (PPI) and the hungry sensation goes away. Your stomach was just cut; it is so swollen still, I don't think it would be able to tell you that you're hungry just yet.

When I was on liquids, I did not have Greek yogourt. But my clear liquids only lasted a couple of days days. By day three, I was on the puréed foods, and that included Greek yogourt, applesauce and protein shakes. They had us try a scrambled egg by day 5 (as long as it was a bit liquidy, not hard and rubbery!). Each centre is different though. As long as you follow the directions your surgeon has given, you should be okay.

Wishing you luck!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Healthysleeve2014
on 4/7/14 11:14 pm

Wow, this is interesting. Thanks everyone. I am on a PPI...maybe it's the acid. I always follow Drs orders, but I do get curious about why things happen. By the way, Crystal light lemonade with unflavored protein powder and that is my new favorite "snack". It was the only item I really enjoyed on my hospital tray. 

megan.sherman
on 4/7/14 11:17 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

Yes, yogurt and SF pudding are on my list of liquids.  I am in the second stage of liquids and have been able to add cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and egg whites.  The doctor also allowed me to have rotisserie chicken breast but man, is that hard to get down!

mainelyamom
on 4/7/14 11:28 pm - ME

My surgery was April 2nd too.  I can have yogurt and cottage cheese, but, I haven't had them yet as I am still trying to get all my fluids in.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views