Continue or Stop

changestocome
on 4/21/14 5:12 am

I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday, but my insurance company is just sitting on the approval. We have called them everyday since last Tuesday and they continue to say "it's pending".  I told myself at the beginning of this journey if everything didn't fall into place, then it was the good Lord's way of telling me this surgery is not for me. Now I'm at the point where if the approval doesn't come through today, I will have to either reschedule surgery or let this be my stopping point. Help!

Surgery Date: April 24, 2014 HW: 276 CW: 226 - 2 months out 50lbs down    

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/21/14 5:16 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Have you asked to speak to supervisor at the insurance company? The customer service reps try but they do not have as many answers. That is crazy that you have not heard yet. How long ago did they submit?

mickeymantle
on 4/21/14 5:23 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

have the person at the surgeons office that deals with insurance call your company they know who to call  at most companies to get the approval quickly , mine was put off 1 month because of a small skin infection and I was halfway thru the pre op liquid diet and had to start again

the surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself , I have a new life

don't panic.gif  every thing will work out

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

cheryls222
on 4/21/14 5:28 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

There is a reason you chose to do this surgery.  Remember the reasons?

Don't look at it as a sign to stop. It's just a minor blimp on the radar to test your resolve.  This surgery is so worth it. 

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

Kelly Jean
on 4/21/14 5:35 am, edited 4/21/14 9:17 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I was nervous also same thing happened I'm surgeons was on top of it they ( the office ) called every day ... you can keep calling also .. I would do as said above and say hey please help here I'm scheduled for Thursday..   I was told it takes 5 to 7 business days .... it will all work out keep smiling before you know it you will be sleeved. ....

Lemily
on 4/21/14 6:03 am
VSG on 01/16/14

If you are ready to give up that fast on an insurance decision, then maybe surgery is not for you.  I dont know about you, but I only had to do roughly 3 1/2 months of pre-op approval items and I thought that was a lifetime. Others had to do 1 or even 2 years of nutrition counseling and weight loss before they could even submit to insurance. I was not going to go through just that 3 1/2 months and just stop.

Are you sure you just aren't getting cold feet and are so psyched for thursday that you can't imagine NOT having it on that day? If you are wishy washy about having the surgery then may be put it off. If you are upset about maybe having to reschedule, I wouldnt cancel it. You've already gone through so much to get to this point, what's another few days. And I am sure that a few months down the line, even with the weight you should lose come fourth of july, you will be so happy that you stuck with it.

FYI - i went through the same thing :) I am so A-type personality. I planned my surgery back in october for january 16th. I even had to change surgeons come jan 1, plus a tumor scare and another procedure 2 weeks before. The day before my surgery I found out i was rejected. My surgeon pulled some miracle, had the peer to peer on my surgery eve. I was still not approved in the insurance system come the time i had to leave for the hospital. They cancelled my surgery only to call me 10 minutes later to tell me that insurance said approved! I went to the hospital then waited until 10:30pm to go in. 

Im not saying you will go through the same thing, but if you are 100% sure you want this surgery, do not give up on it. Accept the delay and move on to the next surgery date. You will not be disappointed.

bytheriver
on 4/21/14 6:15 am - Puerto Rico

I always tell people, u have to be careful with your prayers because the devil hears them, as well. i had to deal with the insurance company for over a year and after all the run around, my job changed insurances to one that didn't cover it, i ended up going to Tijuana, Mexico and got it done. I did it because i needed it, if not, i was on a road to being more ill, and perhaps die. I thank God, everyday, for the opportunity of doing this for my life and if i had to do all over again, in a heartbeat, i will, no doubt.

changestocome
on 4/21/14 6:22 am

I most definitely want this surgery. I have thought about it for years and finally told myself that it's time to stop playing around with my health.  I pretty much had to jump through hoops to get my work load shifted around so that I could take the time off. I guess that's why I'm so antsy about getting this approval and having the surgery this week. Everything happens for a reason though. So, I'll be positive and trust that everything will fall into place. At least, someone down the road.

Surgery Date: April 24, 2014 HW: 276 CW: 226 - 2 months out 50lbs down    

Mary Gee
on 4/21/14 8:35 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

If you've done everything you have to do to meet the insurance company's requirements, the you shouldn't be worried.  Worst case scenario, you surgery will have to be delayed a little.  Why would you even think about stopping?  Things don't always fall into place first time around.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Lisa J.
on 4/22/14 5:59 am - OK

As badly as I wanted this surgery, NOTHING was going to get in my way. Fortunately I was self pay so I only had the clinic's hoops to jump through. But I tell you, I'd be up that insurance's rectum DAILY, perhaps HOURLY til someone gets off his or her ass and press that stupid button on their computer!! DO ask for supervisor. Don't be put off. DO THIS. You're ready!!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views