feel like I'm going bald, help

Grammysgettingfit
on 4/23/14 2:01 am

I'm 6 months out (yesterday--80 pounds down!!) and all of a sudden my hair is falling out big time.  I heard that this usually occurs around 3 months, figured I missed it.  Sooooo is it normal to be this far out and have it start?  if so how long does it last?  Worried...

Taking control and getting fit     Surgery on 10/22/13

jbskaggs
on 4/23/14 2:07 am - holt, MO

My doctor (Dr. Pillow in Arkansas) placed me on whole milk and fish to prevent hair loss, skin issues, and other vitamin deficiencies.  I had almost none of the side effects such as hair loss, mineral loss, etc.  I know some people believe milk fat to be evil,   but talk to your Dr. about it.

emelar
on 4/23/14 2:44 am - TX

I thought I had dodged that bullet, too.  Mine waited until I was 5 months out to start shedding.  There's nothing you can do to stop it - the hair that's falling out has been dead for awhile and is just now being pushed out by new hair.  You'll probably have a heavy shed for a week or two, then it'll start tapering off.  I noticed mine coming out for about 6 weeks and it's frightening.  But it all came back!

To help new growth, take biotin supplements and use a shampoo/conditioner with nioxin.  I used one of those powders to make my hair look thicker when it was at it's worse - XFusion I think, but there are several brands.  Definitely not one of my fond memories of the first year.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/23/14 2:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Mine just started a week ago at 4.5 months out-- hair wrapped all around my fingers in the shower as I shampooed. Thank goodness I have a pixie cut or it would have been even stranger!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Tracy D.
on 4/23/14 3:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, it's perfectly normal.  Mine started coming out heavy around the 6-7 month mark even though I had some significant shedding before that.  The amount I lost between 6-9 months was scary!  It's now slowed down (I'll be 11 months out tomorrow) and I hope I'm seeing some new growth and not just breakage sticking up.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views