Nervous about starting liquid diet Wednesday.

lessofme123
on 5/17/14 10:59 pm

First of all, thank you everyone for you encouragement.  I was almost ready to back out but I think I can go through with this now.

I start my liquid diet in two days and I am worried that I wont be able to stay on it. I can't imagine not eating for two weeks! I am supposed to drink three protien shakes a day and supplement with clear liquids. I am also allowed to eat plain oatmeal or cream of wheat. Those of you that have gone through this, is it as horrible as I think it will be? I'll have to do this over Memorial Day weekend too. I wonder if I will be able to function at my job. I'm a teacher, and the kids can really wear you down at the end of the year. Any advice?

tdallison
on 5/18/14 12:44 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

You can do this. Just keep reminding yourself it is only 2 weeks when compared to a new and healthier life 😉

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Mac333
on 5/18/14 12:45 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

The first day or two can be a challenge but after that it really isn't that tough. I did my pre op liquid diet over Easter weekend and had no trouble. You can do this! Keep your goal in sight...the purpose of this is to shrink your fatty liver and make the surgery easier . As the liver shrinks it gives the Dr.  more space to operate. Good luck!

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/14 3:17 am

I won't lie to you - I did not have to do a pre op liquid diet. I did have to lose 10% of my body weight prior to surgery though. Anyway, I only had to do one day of clear liquids the day before surgery, so take what I have to say keeping that in mind.

I have heard that getting through the first 3 days can be tough. Day 1 is usually not so bad. Day 2 hormones start releasing and you begin to feel hungry. Lots of water and teas, sugar free popsicles, and jello help get you through. Day 3 is a lot like day 2, but for some people even worse. Everyone I know wakes up Day 4 and says it's like something snapped and the liquid diet becomes super easy!

Good luck. I'm a teacher, too. I get what you say.

Kelly Jean
on 5/18/14 3:24 am
VSG on 04/08/14

You can do it..... think positive....  what about Greek yogurt did your Dr say you could have that cause that was very filling to me .... I love the dannon lite Greek yogurt it's only 80 calories and lots of protien so ask that's an idea ... remember the prize....  think of how worth it those measly 2 weeks will be compared to the rest of your NEW AND HEALTHY LIFE... ♡♡♡ YOU GOT THIS♡♡♡ 

lessofme123
on 5/19/14 7:09 am

Yes, yogurt is allowed. Maybe it'll get me through. Thanks

chriswife19
on 5/18/14 4:06 am
VSG on 05/28/14

I started my liquids this past Wednesday.  The first day I didn't even manage to have all 4 servings of protein.  Was very full all day.  That evening I saw a new friend I met at the pre-surgery education session two days before who had also started it that day and she agreed that she wasn't hungry at all.  Day two was another story for me.  I was cranky (not unheard of), weepy (very unusual for me) and hungry.  I ate some oatmeal thinking it would help but it just shot my blood sugar up almost to 200 which made me feel worse.  After that I decided if I wanted something more than the protein drink I would have broth and that is working wonderfullly for me.  Now that I'm past day two I'm doing fine. 

Because of food allergies and sensitivities I am used to sitting around a table with folks and eating something completely different from what they have, or just drinking a water and socializing so I don't have any suggestions on how to get through a Memorial Day gathering, but I can say that when my husband was eating something last night with a smell that appealed to me I thought about leaving the room but instead I got up and got myself some broth and it was fine. 

Good luck!  You've jumped through hoops to get to this stage, you can do it and it will be so worth it.

Miss150
on 5/18/14 5:33 am

You can do this--  I wondered the same thing.  I was allowed 4 protein shakes, and did that the first two days-after  that my interest in the shakes dwindled to the point I was drinking 3 a day and not interested in any thing other... as you "de-carb", you will notice less of a need for them (the carbs).   this is a good thing when you -get on the other side----  My two week liquid was between Thanksgiving and Christmas.. what I did to deal with the celebration stuff was to have my shake before the meal, then nibble on a little bit of protein and some salad stuff. Enjoy the company, look like your eating some - and stay away from the carbs, cause you will wake up the carb monster and make the rest of your liquid diet a misery.  Best of luck to you, an see you on the other side.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Lisa J.
on 5/19/14 5:40 am - OK

Gatherings early on are hard--but it's not impossible. Unfortunately our culture celebrates ANYTHING with food. Feeding people is what we do. It's almost an insult if you don't have so and so's cake or Uncle Joe's potato salad....but if you keep a bottle of water with you constantly, you'll be fine. Yes, you might be quite tempted by the smells, the whole idea of not eating. BUT it's just one day. ONE. DAY. You can always just tell people that you're not hungry, that you ate before you came...or that you are so tired that food doesn't even sound good! Tell a lie, it's okay! LOL.

It isn't horrible. I actually thought of things that ARE truly horrible.....like Afghanistan and stolen children and cancer....and not being able to pork out at a bbq is not one of them.

It's way easier on you if you have no problems with having to go to the restroom frequently, but if you aren't going a lot then you have to drink more during this time. You will function, I promise. I've read about several teachers who sent their kids off and had surgery only to not be recognized the next year!! Isn't that great????? Isn't it better to dwell on that scenario instead?

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
lessofme123
on 5/19/14 7:08 am

Wow! Thank you for that perspective.  You are so right. I will focus on what I will look like by the end of summer. Ok, it is still hard to imagine not eating for two weeks, but hopefully it'll be ok. There's always jello and sugar free popsicles.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 181 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views