Shirataki noodles?

megan.sherman
on 5/20/14 1:05 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I have been perusing a Hungry Girl cookbook and there are some recipes using these tofu noodles.  I don't care for tofu so I am wondering if anyone has used them and if they taste at all like a hunk of tofu.  Do they have the same consistency as regular pasta?

dvnmsm
on 5/20/14 1:24 am, edited 5/20/14 1:25 am

I love tofu and do not like them at all. I find them a little slimy.

danixbanani
on 5/20/14 1:46 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I agree with the above poster. They are disgusting, don't bother.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Mary Gee
on 5/20/14 1:49 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Most people don't like them - but there are some people who rave about them.  A lot depends on how you "treat" them before cooking with them.  I've read comments about their foul smell and slimy texture.  Although I love pasta, I don't plan on trying them - I'll stick to spagetti squash and zuccini noodles.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

emelar
on 5/20/14 1:54 am - TX

I enjoy them.  You have to rinse them (a minute or two) then dry roast them (put them in nonstick pan over a high heat and stir them until they squeak).  Then they're not slimy.  Do they have the consistency of pasta?  No.  I haven't found anything that truly has the consistency of pasta other than pasta.  But the miracle noodles/shirataki do a good job of absorbing flavors and giving you some extra chew.  And they don't sit as heavy on your stomach as pasta and rice does.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/14 1:57 am

My opinion of them is best given by a visual!

mickeymantle
on 5/20/14 2:08 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I love them

you have to rinse them off well then stir fry them

I mix the with marinara sauce and its great 

I love it with garlic and shrimp stir-fried with some squash

ps I hate tofu , this stuff smell bad out of the bag , but the whole bag is 30 cal and it helps when I miss pasta

they make a spinach flavored and a tomato flavored  , I like the spinach better

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/14 2:12 am

Considering the fact that I have a smaller capacity, they don't really help me at all.  I would much rather eat something with nutritional values that tastes great.  On the other hand, if I had a larger sleeve or had not had surgery, I would make use of them as they have almost no calories and absorb sauces well.  I am not a big fan of their consistency, but I would need the volume to fill me up and they are great for that.

megan.sherman
on 5/20/14 2:32 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I didn't realize how little protein they have.  I figured by being made with tofu, they would be high in protein.  I guess the protein in the recipes were from things other than the noodles!

willspear
on 5/20/14 2:53 am, edited 5/20/14 2:54 am
VSG on 06/23/14

Decent for certain Asian dishes ala ramenesque soups etc.  but honestly they suck as a pasta replacement that people look for texture is everything in pasta. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views