Kim Bariatrics requires Bariessentials for Pre-op

LatinCurves35
on 6/4/14 2:31 am

I came back yesterday from the Bariatric University Class it was 1 1/2 hours long. It was very informative regarding the whole before & after surgery lifestyle changes.  I recieved a book with all the info she talked about & a card to be able to order kids plates or small portioned plates! The card for some reason gave me a reality confirmation my lufe was really changing lol!  It was a very good feeling. I wanted to let everyone know that kim's bariatrics requires this pre-op due to the vitamins in the shakes. From what i understand it also helps with healing of surgery afterwards & less loss of hair.  Post-op  we were given a choice as to which powder to buy accirding to the book. But pre-op they are scrict.  So far ive completed 1 week pre-op liquid diet.  I have found that everytime i get hunger pains i drink the zero carb isopure "koolaid" drinks & i kills the  hunger. Im totally about 80grams of protein daily i love, love the grape frost kind.  So far ive lost 7 pounds!

LatinCurves35
on 6/4/14 2:34 am

Sorry about the mispelled words

Journey2014
on 6/4/14 2:48 am

Misspelling happens. Don't worry about it.   

I am interested in hearing about the tools that this WLS Group meeting provided you with.  I am a newbie myself and have never heard of Bariessentials. The idea of the small portion plates is AWESOME! I have read lots of suggestions about dedicating a shelf in the cabinet to "my size" food containers. I would be interested in what website you are going to be using. 

Also... we have similar amounts of weight to lose and seem to be in similar spots in the process, it would be nice to have someone to connect with who is in the same place I am.  THere is SO MUCH info on this site and the veterans are awesome... it might be nice to have someone that presently is going through the same kinds of things I am.

Good luck with everything!

~Rock bottom has become a solid foundation on which I will rebuild my life~

Hislady
on 6/4/14 3:39 am - Vancouver, WA

Sounds alot like a commercial to me. I used isopure and it certainly didn't kill any hunger pains. Personally I wouldn't use any surgeon who demanded I use certain products because that pretty much tells me he's getting a kickback of some kind from the company. Like I said it all sounds very much like free advertising, I mean really Bariatric University Class?!

LatinCurves35
on 6/4/14 5:14 am

"Baratric University class" is what they call the  appt because it covers EVERYTHING about the surgery before & after. Its just a name for it.   The Nutrition class is diffrent.  

Jaime P.
on 6/4/14 4:46 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Dr Kim was originally my surgeon - until they told me after all my pre-op appointments that the hospital for surgery was no longer covered by BCBS and it would be AT LEAST October before I could have surgery if at all. What!? Also, I did nutrition class there in April and never got any of that information. Weird. 

Took all my stuff to the UT Southwestern hospital in Dallas instead. My new surgeon is Michael Lee, who is the director of Bariatrics there. They are non profit, so they don't push any products on you and take really good care of patients (have had several surgeries there). They also tell you what's best to help you based on things you can buy in most stores. I'm happy with my new choice and can't wait until I have insurance approval. 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

LatinCurves35
on 6/4/14 5:01 am

I wrote this to inform people of what im going thru. Im not commerciallizing anything. Obviously what works for me does not work for everyone. I have United Healthcare Ins and was approved in 4 days, my surg date is june 23.  I am an Rn so naturally I look & weigh all my options.  

smk920
on 6/4/14 10:34 am
VSG on 05/06/14

Dr. Kim was my surgeon too. I questioned the use of one brand during preop. The answer I got was the team knows what type of results to expect when everyone uses the same thing. That makes perfect sense to me. I had a three week preop diet. He gave me one week supply and I had to purchase the other two. The man has done a lot more sleeves than many surgeons out there, and I was trusting him with my life. I was happy to do whatever he asked to insure a smooth surgery. I was and still am very pleased with Dr. Kim and his staff. All that said, he's not for everyone. There isn't a lot of face time with him, and some people need more time with their surgeon for peace of mind.  I understand that.

Best of luck to you! It will be here before you know it! 

44 y/o f 5'5" HW:330 consult:322 SW:285 CW:248 goal:14O

pineview01
on 6/4/14 11:09 am, edited 6/4/14 11:12 am - Davison, MI

Just a heads up on that card.  It really isn't a card saying people have to let you order kids plates.  Many places do NOT honor that card.  After people look at you like you are nuts, you find out which ones do. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

poet_kelly
on 6/4/14 11:15 am - OH

Many restaurants will allow you to order off the kids' menu if you just ask, even without a special card.  Some restaurants also offer half-portions which are available to anyone.  I don't think any restaurant will make up a special small portion for you if it's not something they normally offer, even with a special card.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views