sleeved! diabetes update

emonarch
on 6/9/14 12:22 am

Was sleeved weds. Went home Friday. Was on meds for high blood pressure, also two oral diabetes meds and insulin. I left the hospital off all those meds!  Can't believe it. I can't wait to see how my weight loss goes. I'm following all instructions to the letter. I get my staples out weds which is scary. I have 3 incisions and 7 staples total. I just feel like i will neverget back to normal. I can't imagine being able to eat food....

mickeymantle
on 6/9/14 1:42 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your doing great don't worry about the staples there nothing , they pop out with no pain

you will get back to your new normal in a few weeks , just walk sip and rest and all will be great

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tina M.
on 6/9/14 2:43 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Congratulations on being sleeved AND on getting off your meds! Don't worry about the staples, you'll be just fine. You will definitely get back to "normal." Your "normal" just may be a little different. Lol. I am a little over a month out & I feel great. Sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk... I was afraid to progress to food at first, but this message board is a great source of advice. It helped me transition to each phase! Best of luck to you!

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 2:48 am
VSG on 07/07/14

Question; I am on high blood pressure meds and metformin for my diabetes. Who took you off your meds? The surgeon or your primary? How did you know it was ok? Should you taper off or just go off them? Any thoughts would help me.

emonarch
on 6/10/14 1:05 am

Great question. The way it worked for me is that it was outlined in my discharge papers.  It had a list of all meds and vitamins i was to take.  It had a stool softener, pain med, nausea med, antacid, calcium, multi and biotin.  My discharge nurse told me my blood pressure had been great the whole hospital stay so i didn't need licinopril anymore.  She also told me the same about blood sugar.  The day before my endo stopped in to see me. She told me at that point that i didn't need any diabetes meds.  So i already knew that before being discharged. My fasting has been 81 and after meals about 95.  I can hardly believe it.  My nurses and doctors walked me through every step so I'm sure yours will do the same.  Good luck!  Let me know how it goes for you.

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 3:06 am

My husband was on 20 meds, included Metformin and 5 heart meds. He also went off them all while he was still in the hospital and hasn't taken them since!

His blood sugar and A1c 8.5 months out are looking pretty good! He in fact just had PERFECT labs for the first time in HIS ENTIRE LIFE!!!

His Baritatric surgeon (who consulted with Cardiologist) took him off some of them before surgery (it was not safe on his new tummy or for surgery to take some of the meds), the rest he stopped by day 2. Metformin was one of the ones they took him off of before surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views