Any thoughts on how to tackle endurance sports??

docksandaltars
on 6/8/14 6:43 pm
RNY on 01/28/14 with

I'm training for a 1/2 marathon.  My nut recommended peanut butter/cheese crackers (like the ones found in vending machines.)  I know I only have enough energy store for 1hr so I eat 2 at about 50 minutes and another two at 1hr 45 min.  I have also used "puppy chow" (a concoction my grandkids make with rice Chex, peanut butter, nestle's toll house chocolate chips, and powdered sugar) at the same intervals.  I tried Stingers a few weeks ago but too much of a sugar rush.  I also tried Hammer Gel but the caffeine was overwhelming.  Would you call your nutritionist and find out if there is anyone in their office who does endurance sports?  That's where my best advice came from.  aa

olessgn571
on 6/8/14 11:33 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

Thanks docks!  Good luck with the 1/2 marathon! PB & crackers sound much better than hammergel.  Have you every tried Sport Beans?  I used to use those in FL years ago, they are little jelly beans with electrolytes and such, you can eat them one at a time so it's less overwhelming.  Just a thought!  I think I need to find a NUT.  My time with the NUT ended pre-op, insurance doesn't cover post-op NUT. 

cheryls222
on 6/9/14 2:12 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

That's a lot for 6 weeks out. It took me a long time to get my endurance back.  Go easy and ease yourself back into it.

I just started cycling and am having a hard time getting enough water and fuel as I go longer distances.  I am not balanced enough to bike and reach/drink from my bottle. I have to stop.  :)   I also have to learn to eat and cycle at the same time.  Looking for ideas on what type of food is easy to eat while still peddling. I also plan on getting a "bladder" for my back pack so I can bike and drink at the same time. :)

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

olessgn571
on 6/9/14 11:35 am
VSG on 04/24/14

Hi Cheryl

After my first two rides back I decided I had to use the Camelback instead of the water bottles in order to stay hydrated reply was cycling.

For me it had nothing to do with balance but it was simply not being able to chug a lot of water in short blasts. Using the Camelback I find that I can drink smaller amounts more frequently. I would highly recommend it for you. Lots of luck and let me know how you do with hydrating and fuel on your rides.

cheryls222
on 6/9/14 12:03 pm - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Great tip.  On my last long ride I tried to chug water which did not have a good result.  It kinda backed up and girggled a bit. 

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

fsr402
on 6/9/14 11:29 am - Jenison, MI

Ok first off great job on what you have been doing.

2nd, I am in no way affiliated with this company. But I was a marathon runner and triathlete before I hurt my foot (running in the wrong shoes) and had to stop running for a bit. During that down time I got lazy and gained 70+ pounds.

Anyways, this product is amazing. You can customize the blends and make it exactly what YOU need and not some off the shelf good for all stuff.

Try it or don't makes no difference for me. I just want to help. For a half Ironman race and under this is all I would use.

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views