9 days post op and feeling wonderful

lessofme123
on 6/13/14 8:30 am

I've been meaning to do a post op report but have been so busy this week that I haven't had a chance.  So here goes:

First off, this was the scariest thing I have ever done and could not have gone through it without support from everyone on here who talked me through my worries!  So thank you all for that.  I almost backed out several times.

This was hands down the easiest surgery I have ever been through. I am amazed at how fast my recovery has been. I went in on Wednesday and was released on Friday of last week.  The following Monday I drove, and put in a full day with classes and meetings for work.  I had gone out and bought a recliner before surgery because I was sure I would need it to sleep in when I got home.  Nope!  I slept in bed from the first night home.  I took a shower without any help before I even left the hospital.  The first couple of days home were a little rough, mostly because I only managed to drink about 20 oz of liquid a day and got a little dehydrated. It also took a while to get things moving again since I was off my Colace for a few days and got pretty constipated.  Each day I have been able to drink more and am now easily getting in 64 oz of liquids a day.  I got to start on full liquids on day 4, and soft mushy food on day 7.  I was so excited to get to eat tuna fish that I had my two tablespoons of tuna for breakfast, lunch, and supper the first day I was allowed.  It's kind of funny, since I never really ate tuna before!  So far I have lost 22 pounds since my 2 week pre-op liquid diet and feel awesome.  I walked a mile today and went shopping.  I never would have thought that was possible 9 days after major surgery.  The last couple of days the scale hasn't moved, but surely it will start moving again soon.  I think I am going to be very glad I went through with it!  I can't wait to see what the next year holds.  I am going to start saving for plastic surgery now in case I want a tummy tuck or something after I lose all my weight.

I hope this is helpful for anyone who is thinking of VSG and is nervous about going through with it.  I don't think anyone could have been more nervous than me!

mollz007
on 6/13/14 11:05 am
VSG on 02/20/14

You are doing great! Congrats!

check out my blog!

Musicteech
on 6/13/14 1:14 pm - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

thx for sharing.  My surgery is on the 17th & I've been on liquids for 3 days & not really hungry, to my surprise.  I'm excited for surgery but feel that once I'm admitted that I'll be a mess!  Hope not.

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

lessofme123
on 6/13/14 1:19 pm

I was surprised too that I wasn't hungry while on the liquid diet. The protein shakes really curbed my appetite.  Good luck on your surgery. 

Wanda1118
on 6/13/14 7:00 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

I got my surgery date yesterday of July 9th and already getting nervous! lol

anewstart123
on 6/16/14 12:40 am

You sound like you are doing great, congrats to you!!! I too am scared to death to have this surgery, every day I go back and forth about the decision , I hope I am brave enough when it comes time.

Cause I know this is the only way for me. Thank you for your positive post.

happyteacher
on 6/13/14 10:07 pm

I am so glad your recovery has gone well!  PS is really good if you can afford it :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LakeErieGirl
on 6/13/14 11:18 pm
VSG on 06/17/14

Congrats on your new sleeve. Thank you for sharing this! For us pre ops it sure does help! I have my surgery Tuesday, June 17th also. I can't wait to follow you on the rest of your journey. Good luck. I hope the rest of it is easy as this part of it has been.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views