Has anyone traveled to have surgery with Dr. Marema at Flagler Hospital?

Christine S.
on 6/12/14 4:08 am

Hi everyone!

I am curious if anyone has traveled a long distance to see Dr. Marema in St. Augustine for surgery. And - if so - how was it having to stay an extra few days? I guess I am wondering where you stay, what to expect, etc, etc. since I will have my hubby and two young kids with me when I do go up from the Orlando area (most likely in July, so I am hoping beach??) and I want to make sure they have SOMETHING to do! :)

Any info is appreciated! :)

Christine

Menchi
on 6/12/14 5:24 am
VSG on 09/11/13

I didn't have your doctor but I did travel and I will tell you to take it easy.  (spoiler, literally, sorry) Staying a few days extra might be a great idea because the flight home was rough, I felt ever bump.  If you go to a theam park limit sun and use a wheelchair.  As for the beach remember that walking in sand is more difficult so I would try not to pick a spot too far from the car and limit sun and walking.  You can not immerse your scars for at least 6 weeks(no bath or swimming).  Drink lots of water the whole time an try to keep cool, you will need to walk but I suggest only in a place you can get to a resting spot quickly and not on sand because of the extra work it takes to walk in sand.    Just remember even though you may not feel like it this was major surgery and you need to take things slow, don't lift any bags or anything over 5lb to be safe.  It is not very hard to rip open your stomach, and I know someone who did it 5 days out because they deiced to vacuum and felt good.  I remember how frustrating it was for me but any long walking like the airport or Disney for the first few weeks I suggest a wheelchair and no carrying.  Always have water on you and quick dissolve gas X as well.  I hope I did not scare you, but your kids might have to go off with dad while you rest.  It is so worth it, I am 8 months out and I was able to stay at Eliches/six flags for 9 hours running after 5 little kids, before I would not have lasted more then an hour.  I have so much energy now.  Good luck and let us know when you get home how it went.

Christine S.
on 6/12/14 8:18 am

Thanks Menchi! I really appreciate all the advice! Thankfully we are driving about 90 min to St Augustine so no flying involved. As for my husband taking the kids alone? I think I'd be fine with that!! Lol 

I will keep you posted. :) Thanks again!

Christine 

Menchi
on 6/13/14 1:48 am
VSG on 09/11/13

If you run in to any questions I check this site often.  Your 90 min drive is much better then my standing in line for about half an hour in the sun, 40 min drive, 2 hour flight delay, 2 hour flight, hour waiting for stupid cart to take me to baggage, and then 60 min drive.  That was a long day but still so very worth it.  Good luck!  I look forward to hearing from you.

sanjali23
on 6/16/14 11:42 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

I did and I had surgery on 2/12/14. I had an amazing experience and never had any negative side effects. The hospital was great and the staff was even better. I traveled from Orlando and it was definitely worth every mile. I stayed in a hotel for 2 days after I was discharged and my husband and 2 and 3 year old loved the stay. I had virtually no pain after and was able to walk laps around the hospital floor. Dr. Marema will give you some good drugs. They have a hotel concierge who will find you a nice hotel in your price range so don't stress about that. Oh yeah, if you get nervous as I did before surgery tell them and they will give you some good drugs while you wait. Ask Dr. M about using the Spyder, that's what he used with me and you cannot tell I had surgery because he hid the incision so well into my belly button. You've got the best surgeon money can buy and I would have traveled from China for his expertise. Did I mention that I have not even vomited once throughout this entire process?

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Christine S.
on 6/16/14 1:27 pm

Thank you SO much for this!! I went back and forth about doing it so far from home but you have just made my decision all that much easier. :)

I am so glad you had such a great experience- I will let you know how mine goes. 

Thanks again!

Christine

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views