juices

lessofme123
on 6/14/14 10:56 am

My doctor allows up to 8 oz of 100% fruit juice a day post-op.  I've been drinking 4 oz of apple juice a day in hopes that it will keep things moving. Anyway, I bought some insanely delicious carrot/apple juice to mix things up. It got me thinking about buying a juicer and making my own fresh juices. Is this a good idea, or do I need to stay away from juices? What about blending fruits and veggies in the food processor instead to make shakes? Is it healthier to drink the pulp?

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/14 11:09 am
VSG on 03/04/14 with

Store-bought juice is not healthy. I would rather eat those calories than drink the. Juice does not give you a full feeling, and in the end you will want to eat more.

Using your calories on lean protein would be much better.

lessofme123
on 6/14/14 11:13 am

What about home pressed vegetable juices? Is it worth it to buy a juicer, or are all fruit and vegetable juices wasted calories I guess is what I am asking.

skeller
on 6/14/14 11:17 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Truly, this is a question probably best directed to your doctor. I think clear fruit juices are an option in the early part of my post-surgery diet, but following that, not so much--too many calories and not enough other benefits. On the other hand, I do try to get in some raw fruit every day; watermelon is my current fave, and I have been managing about 4oz of that as an afternoon snack because it has also really boosted my fluid intake which needs help.

Personally, I would consider having a fruit and veggie smoothie with at least 20g protein (powder) added as a breakfast item in stead of a protein drink once in a while, but I definitely would not have it without the protein added, as I doubt I could fit anything else in, and I wouldn't want to waste a meal opportunity to get in my protein requirements. Also, fruit smoothies are a lot like ice cream to my mind, and that is not a path down which I need go ;)

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

mollz007
on 6/14/14 11:51 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I dont drink a lot of juice, but I do sometimes buy the sugar free ones. I really like grapefruit juice. The juicer idea sounds good. I sometimes put fruit in my protein shakes. My plan encourages fruit and veggies.

check out my blog!

Flygirlmedic
on 6/15/14 5:36 am

On occasion I will drink the diet cranberry juice and the diet cran-grape. They have no sugar or carbs and are a nice change from just plain water.

VSG 2/25/14 Dr. David Kim    HT 5'5" 51yo SW 230 CW 170.2 GW 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views