Feeling Very Hungry all the time 3 months post-op!!! Help!!

ColleenInOregon
on 6/24/14 8:12 am

I am feeling very hungry all the time. I have no idea why! I have lost 45 lbs, but have gained a pound now because I eat every 2 hours....is it ok to eat, just eat low carb/low calorie? Drink more water? It's very frustrating to feel so hungry....I can still only eat a small amount, but sheesh!! THANK YOU for any advice!!!

happyteacher
on 6/24/14 8:51 am

Acid can mimic hunger.  If you are not trying a PPI (something like prilosec) then see if that helps.  I had that... once I started them the hunger disappeared.  I would take it for a week or so, and then stop.  If I noticed the realtively constant hunger that was my cue to go back to the ppi.  Weird thing is I never had heartburn or anything, just what felt like hunger. 

I ate 6-7 times a day during my weight loss phase, but managed very carefully.  For example, Shake at 6 am, greek yogurt around 8:30ish, lunch tuna on a bed of spinach, 3 pm protein bar, dinner fish and veggies, before bed a serving of fiber one cereal with flax milk.  If you eat that frequently you really need to watch calories and protein and such.  

Eat dense protein and don't drink for at least 30 minutes after eating.  It will hold you longer.  Distract yourself.  I found I may feel hungry, but if I go for a walk by the time I am back I no longer feel hungry.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ColleenInOregon
on 6/24/14 9:10 am

Thank you!!! I am taking prescription Prilosec....have for years. I will try eating better small meals....yes, I noticed the not drinking thing, I am too full to drink after anyway....

happyteacher
on 6/24/14 9:18 am

You might try changing the type of ppi.  There have been some posters here that tried different ones and found a huge difference.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sandra J.
on 6/24/14 9:30 am
VSG on 06/05/14

I second changing the PPI. Maybe Prevacid? If you do change to the Prevacid though, it's important that you are very specific in how your take it: 1st thing in the morning, on and empty stomach with nothing to eat or drink fro at least 20-30 minutes. I'm not sure if there are any specific directions for the Prilosec, you may want to check with your doc. Good Luck!!

Sandra Johnson

Sleeved on 6/5/14

dashmatrix
on 6/24/14 11:29 am

That's very interesting about the way you take Prevacid. I've been taking the dissolving tabs first thing in the morning with all my other vits and pills then was them all down with a protein shot. maybe that's not a good regimen...

ColleenInOregon
on 6/24/14 9:31 am

Good idea! Thank you!!!

mollz007
on 6/24/14 12:24 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

How many calories a day do you eat/. Just curious. I totally agree with what everyone else has said, but it is also possible that maybe you are hungry and could add an extra snack to your day? Just a thought.

check out my blog!

Jackie T.
on 6/24/14 12:51 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You say that you eat every 2 hours.  We don't know what you are eating but for me, I needed to eat dense protein.  Once I quit eating yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, etc and started eating steak, chicken, pork, etc at every meal, I did not want to eat as often.  I am 18 months out and still eat my protein first and then maybe a couple bites of vegetable but not very often.  I eat about 3.5 oz of meat at a sitting and then I can go 4 hours or more.  You may truly be hungry as everyone is different but I agree with the acid mimicing hunger.  Make sure you are getting at least 70-100 grams of protein a day and drinking plenty of fluids.  If you are dehydrated, your body hangs onto the water and that is probably what the 1 lb is. Eating low carb/low calorie is important but what you are eating is even more important.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

ColleenInOregon
on 6/24/14 2:55 pm

Thank you Jackie! I definitely do not eat enough protein or drink enough water....I am going to work on that and see if it helps....I have been being lazy and I eat scrambled eggs, peanut butter, cereal, beans, yogurt.....I will definitely be eating more hearty proteins! 

Most Active