not getting enough liquids

lessofme123
on 7/6/14 9:02 pm

I am almost 5 weeks out and am still having trouble getting in enough liquids. I usually manage to get around 30-40 oz a day, occasionally I get 48 oz. I am beginning to feel weak and dry. Any suggestions? It is hard because of not being allowed to drink 30 minutes before or 60 minutes after I eat, plus I am not able to drink much at a time. Sometimes it makes me nauseous to drink too. I have started taking an acid reducer which has helped some with the nausea. 

katym
on 7/6/14 10:19 pm - PA

Hi Lessofme123,

Have you been in touch with your doctor recently? I am concerned. I am not a medical professional, but your consistently low fluid intake and weakness could mean you need IV fluids to prevent serious dehydration and complications, especially in hot summer weather.  

After checking with professionals, my suggestions are pretty basic: think of water as a necessary medicine or your new job, not an optional activity; make it convenient, never leave the house without a liter water bottle, even keep water by your bed so you can have a few sips each time you wake up in the night. Getting in enough fluid and protein is always challenging in the first few weeks so please do not think I am saying it should be easy.

Stay healthy.

All the best,Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

lessofme123
on 7/6/14 11:16 pm

Thanks. I will contact my doctor today. I do feel like I might need some IV fluids. I have been trying to increase my fluids but just am not having much success. 

goleftoklahoma
on 7/6/14 11:00 pm
VSG on 01/24/14

I've been going to sonic 1 or 2x daily and getting 44oz LemonBerry water.  It's just a few cut up strawberries with lemon wedges but it goes down easily and really helps me get in my fluids.  Good luck!

lessofme123
on 7/6/14 11:18 pm

Wow! Sounds yummy. I can't even come close to drinking one 44 oz drink, let alone 2. Maybe I will get there.

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/14 11:01 pm
VSG on 03/04/14 with

You must drink more. Must. This is not an option.

Talk to your surgeon about waiting times with eating and drinking. There really is no medical reason why you can't drink right up until a few minutes before eating, and waiting 30 minutes after eating, rather than 60, is the standard.

You can drink more. Just get it done.

lessofme123
on 7/6/14 11:21 pm

Not having the wait times would help a lot. Sometimes I am so thirsty and want to drink but have been trying to follow directions and wait an hour after eating. I will ask about it.

Kelly Jean
on 7/6/14 11:43 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Are u counting your protien shake as a liquid!!! Trust mecw hen I say get it in ... 7 days out i was back in because of dehydration. ..don't let it happen to u force the water in... set an alarm do what ever u have to do... I carry 2 33.8 oz of water bottles every where I go so I don't forget.... what about the SF ice pops.... good luck you can do this!!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

lessofme123
on 7/7/14 1:37 am

Thanks. Yes, those totals include my two eleven ounce protein shakes. I'm going to try harder to get more in today. I'm really starting to feel the effects of not enough fluids. Hopefully I can get myself hydrated.

Tracy D.
on 7/7/14 12:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The acid reducer is probably a good idea.  But part of your nausea can actually be caused by dehydration.   Suggestions for getting in more fluids:  

1.  Get up earlier and start pushing them as soon as your feet hit the floor.  Have a glass waiting on your nightstand.  Do not wait...if you wait until after breakfast to start drinking you've wasted at least a good 2 hours of drinking time.  This is KEY for me!  I start drinking at 5:00 in the morning.  Even if I don't workout in the morning I still get up and start drinking. 

2.  In a few weeks you can safely shrink the time you wait to eat after drinking to probably 10-15 minutes.  Most people on here after a few months out will drink right up until they eat.  Water slides right through that sleeve so I only wait about 5 minutes after drinking to start eating.  However, I always wait 30 minutes to drink after a snack and 60 minutes after a meal.  A meal for me at this point is 3-4 oz. of dense protein.  Snacks are usually some yogurt, string cheese, nuts or jerky. 

3.  Sugar-free popsicles are a good way to get in fluids when you can't stand to drink another sip of plain water.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views