WOW! Its been 7 years! Love my Sleeve (STILL)! Update - Sorry VERY long! Continued

MercyQ
on 7/16/14 3:18 am - FL

Continued - Last Piece, 3 out of 3

Fast forward to today and one other reason for coming back to OH. I kept my weight off for a good part of a year, then almost two years post WLS I started to slowly gain, I think they call it “grazing” and as of last summer I had gained just over 35 lbs. Not good. Wake up call! I did manage to lose 10 lbs. but my exercising is lacking, I need to lose those pesky 25 lbs.

I have had no complication, not a one. I have had the foamies a few times early on and now and again when I can’t resist the offerings and my bad habits show their ugly head, ultimately ended up throwing up, but very infrequently; I’ve learned how to gauge how full I am very well. Immediately post op WLS I was barely able to drink, later eat 3 oz. of food, I now can eat about 7 oz. I can go on a cruise and eat a little of each course with no issues. My husband and I usually share a meal, so we have saved a lot!

I’m over the moon with my Sleeve; the only regret I have is that the VSG was not available sooner. All the best to those of you that have started this journey or are contemplating it.

MercyQ. This is the Beginning of the Rest of my Life!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/14 5:08 am

What a wonderful trilogy of posts! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and journey.

I think you illustrate so well the most important message that the disease of obesity is always there. We're not cured. We need to be vigilant to maintain our losses because even a few years out when we "ought" to know better the old habits trickle back in. It's up to us to recognize when those old habit start in a creepin' and stop it before those 4 extra pounds become 40!

Congrats on a great 7 years. And as for your extra 25: I understand you wanting to get them off - I truly do as I'm in much the same boat, but wow! look from where you came and how successfully you've maintained most of that tremendous weight loss. You are awesome!

MercyQ
on 7/19/14 11:48 pm - FL

Wow, I had trouble logging back in. My computer was acting up.

Thanks Kairk, yes, there is no doubt that obesity IS a disease. Many folks that are not afflicted with it, don't understand. I have to stay constantly vigilant, its really easy to forget and start thinking we are "normal", we are not. Our physiology is messed up. It's so tempting and easy to make the wrong choices, however, making the right ones is so well rewarded! Its worth the effort every day.

I think that my body has "settled" at this weight, it seems to "like" it. I do want to lose those extra pounds, but as you say, when I look at where I was, and that I've maintained more than 85% of my loss, I'm encouraged to keep forging forward and re-capture my goal. Thanks again for your post, this site is the best!

Member Services
on 7/16/14 5:20 am - Irvine, CA

sleevemama
on 7/16/14 5:28 am
VSG on 04/30/13

Thank you for posting! I love hearing from post ops years out. You have given us a great overview of your experience. I am happy that you have had no complications and are doing so well and are working on the regain. Can you imagine if you did not have surgery, most of us would regain all of it back plus! To know that you are happy and enjoying life is very inspiring! Please continue to keep us posted and congratulations on 7 wonderful years and to many, many more!

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

MercyQ
on 7/19/14 11:56 pm - FL

Hi Sleevemama, thanks so much for your words of encouragement and congratulations on your great success! The "no complications" typically reported with the Sleeve was the main reason for my initial decision to have this surgery and I'm still thrilled that I chose it, it has not let me down. As I've gotten a bit older (haven't us all? LOL!), I think my metabolism has slowed down, so I have to REALLY work at it, but I'm not giving up. Thanks so much for your comments!

ThinLizzy
on 7/16/14 6:10 am - Benicia, CA

Hi, Mercy!

I remember you! I will celebrate my 7 years next month. Thanks for stopping by to share your story--it's good to see some of the "old" faces! Like you, I continue to be VERY happy I chose the VSG..keep in touch..

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

MercyQ
on 7/20/14 12:06 am - FL

WOW Lizanne, good to reconnect! Congratulations on your 7 year surgiversity and maintaining the loss! 

I wasn't trying to ignore you, my browser has been acting up and I could not log in. I had to download a different browser to be able to reply, but here I am.

Its so good to see some of my surgery contemporaries are still around, I also saw that Ms Shell is still doing her weekly "What YA eat today" post, she has admirable staying power, I have to stop by and say hello. 

Do stay in touch, something tells me I'm going to need all the support I can get to loose the 25 lb regain. 

Mercy

ksoto2014
on 7/17/14 11:52 am - Sunnyvale , CA

That was a lovely post and you go! So you are human what a realization to make during this process right? You will overcome those 25lbs eventually you have all the tools now. Thank you for sharing your story with us. My surgery is on July 23rd and I am excited. Your story has just solidified that it is the right decision and to stop worrying.  So thank you. I am grateful for your words

Kathleen

MercyQ
on 7/20/14 12:20 am - FL

K, thank you and congratulations! I'm so excited for you! It's a piece of cake, I had no pain other than a bit of discomfort at the incision sites and a bit of bloating, for the first couple of days post op, no more than that. Once the Ghrelin hormone producing tissue is removed, the hunger magically disappears, the magic window or honey moon period lasts for nearly a year, then your body compensates and the job of producing the Ghrelin hormone changes to the brain and we need to really start dealing with the urges. Dont fret, though, your sleeve and the restriction that it brings will get you through, you just have to stay focused and make wise choices to fight the darn Ghrelin.

I did have to learn to eat with my new stomach but that was also not difficult, it just takes practice and there is lots of help here. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions or just need to vent, I'm happy to help!

Mercy

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views