Tough subject, but important...

Annievvho
on 8/12/14 7:17 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Depression is common in obese people. Maybe we were depressed because we were obese, or maybe we were obese because we were depressed. Maybe we struggle with the conditions completely separately - one having nothing to do with the other, and rarely,maybe you don't suffer from depression at all.  

The statistics remain, though, that suicide rates among people who have had weight loss surgery are as much as 7 times higher than among the general population. It is at times like the present situation that a topic that normally gets hidden away, due to how uncomfortable it can make people, can be brought up and talked about a bit more openly. 

Depression is a very real mental illness. It can make an adored, loved, funny, wealthy, physically healthy, person with a family and friends beyond measure feel isolated, worthless, burdensome, like a failure, like the only way they could do something right would be to stop wasting space and breath on their life without value. It's a disorder that causes self focus on perceived failures or short comings. People who suffer from depression often are convinced by their negative self talk that people actively hate them. There are physical symptoms that include fatigue and pain. 

You are not alone. People love you. If you're feeling helpless and miserable, please reach out for help. It can get better. 

And if you need to talk, I know how it feels. I am here. You have value, and I want you to feel better.

Love to all.

“You'll have bad times, but it'll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren't paying attention to.”
-Robin Williams as Sean Maguire in Good Will Hunting

1. Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255
      National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

BeginsToday
on 8/12/14 7:24 am

Important words, thank you.

TexasTerritory
on 8/12/14 8:41 am
VSG on 07/22/13
The statistics remain, though, that suicide rates among people who have had weight loss surgery are as much as 7 times higher than among the general population.

~~~~~
I experience clinical depression and believe treatment is critical. I am wondering where your data came from...regarding 7x higher? I am unaware of this information.

Thank you.

weeziebeth
on 8/12/14 8:57 am

Here is a link to a recent (2013) systematic review. You may need access to the database to view beyond the abstract-should be able to access through local library or health science center. The abstract itself does not speak to how much higher than general population, just that it is. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23297762

SophieNJ
on 8/13/14 2:57 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Excellent post.  Plus, I had no idea about the 7% higher for wls folks...

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views