Waiting on approval and scared

Carthron
on 8/12/14 10:46 am

I've completed all the necessary testing and counseling and my package has just been sent to Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. I am terrified. My BMI is 38.2. Although I've had hypertension for several years I've only been recently diagnosed with diabetes. The only other thing that might help me is having a family member that had a heart attack before 50. I don't just want the surgery; I need it. In addition to hypertension and diabetes I have hidradenitis, need problems and lower back problems. I've told very few people I'm tired of hearing that I just need to hit the gym. They don't understand that there are days so parking is extremely painful. I'm just soliciting prayers and encouragement at the moment. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks

Dawn ..
on 8/12/14 11:11 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

I think you will be OK. Check here and with your insurance companies website http://obesitycoverage.com/component/zoo/item/blue-cross-blue-shield-north-carolina-covers-weight-loss-surgery

I have BCBS Michigan/MESSA and they say BMI of 35+ with 2 comorbidities. Good luck.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

SouthernSass
on 8/12/14 11:21 am

I am waiting on my approval from BCBS of NC too! I hope you get your approval soon and get started on your new path in life.

Sleevarilla
on 8/12/14 12:03 pm

Hi!

I'm also with BCBS of NC. Mine was submitted on a Thursday and I had my results the next Monday. They are working (at least when I called a couple weeks ago) on a 24-72 business hour turnaround, they told me.

A friend of mine was also waiting for approval and got denied. Her BMI was 35 and her co-morbidities were recently diagnosed. If you are denied, you can always ask your surgeon to do a peer-to-peer review.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Follow my journey: www.sleevarilla.com

It never gets easier. You just get better!

SouthernSass
on 8/13/14 12:44 am

Did you call BCBS to find out the status of the request that was submitted by Dr. E's office? I was told that I would receive a call from the insurance coordinator once they submitted my information, but I have not received any phone calls along the way from anyone in that office.

Sleevarilla
on 8/13/14 2:54 am, edited 8/13/14 2:56 am

I called the customer service number on the back of my card to get information. It isn't that I don't trust Dr. Enoch's staff, because they have been wonderful! But, I wanted BCBS to know I knew they had paperwork that I needed them to work on, lol!!

edit to add: I did NOT hear from the insurance coordinator (I had Tabitha) that it was submitted. I called BCBS directly. I too was told that the insurance coordintor would let me know, but that didn't happen. When I called BCBS, they gave me a reference number and a date and TIME it was submitted.

Follow my journey: www.sleevarilla.com

It never gets easier. You just get better!

BurberryPlaid
on 8/13/14 12:48 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Waiting with you....I pray you hear soon and all goes well after that. 

From what I hear, BCBS is one of the easier insurances to work with. 

Hang in there! 

KevinBacon
on 8/13/14 3:34 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Good luck!!! I waited two years for surgery and thought it would never happen. I am 5 months out now and it was worth every tear and fear! You will get there just take it one day at a time

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views