dumping syndrome

wyo_sarah
on 8/14/14 2:23 pm

How quickly does dumping syndrome hit? I had lunch about 11 hours ago and now I'm throwing up.  I had surgery 16 days ago. 

mickeymantle
on 8/14/14 2:59 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

usually within an hour or so and dumping is very rare with a vsg

you might have eaten to much or to fast

if you keep throwing up or have chest pains , dizziness , fever, blood ect call your  surgeon  anytime day or night

or get to the ER

your sleeve is still swollen and if you did not chew your food enough something might have gotten stuck and if you threw it up all is probably fine , but if you contiue to throw up something might be wrong that needs to be checked

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/14/14 3:01 pm

Dumping is mainly a RNY thing. If you are throwing up, you need to contact your surgeon, as it's sounds like something is blocked which could be dangerous. Can you keep liquid down?

wyo_sarah
on 8/14/14 11:42 pm

I only had soup broth for lunch. I didn't eat anything yesterday,  just drank. I only threw up once and then I took some phenergan and went to sleep.  I still feel nauseous today though. I drank a little water and had a little yogurt this morning.  Now I'm taking a zophran so I can hopefully keep it down.  I feel pretty awful all around. 

hollykim
on 8/15/14 12:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

dehydration causes nausea. Are you getting at least 64 oz of liquid a day?

Tracy D.
on 8/14/14 11:46 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Ture "dumping" doesn't usually hit anyone with VSG.  You may actually just have a nasty stomach bug.  I don't know where you live but it's spreading like wildfire through the Nebraska metro area right now.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 8/15/14 5:58 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I would call my surgeon if I was eating so little , best to be safe

doctors prefer you to call even if it is nothing ,better than waiting till it is to late to do anything about it

you might be dehydrated and need an IV

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Texasgirl321
on 8/15/14 9:25 am

How are you today?

Janet

MsBatt
on 8/15/14 10:19 am

VSGers RARELY EVER dump. Dumping normally happens with 30-120 minutes after eating. What did you eat, and how much?

-_Gretchen_-
on 8/16/14 11:39 am
with

Dumping Syndrome does happen to about 5% of VSG patients. I experienced it a few times, very scary feeling. Nausea, cold sweats, feeling like I was going to pass out. It happened within 30 to 60 min. after drinking protein shakes. I would say 11 hours after eating it would not be dumping syndrome. 

-_Gretchen_-

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views