In need of a JUMP START to get back on track.

MyRe_Do2014
on 8/15/14 11:28 am - Reisterstown, MD

Ten months post-op VSG and I am finding myself getting back to emotional eating. My VSG surgery was October 30, 2013 and since then lost 53 but have put back on 30. My VSG surgery was an emergency decision from complications from the gastric band that I had in October of 2010 with an outcome of 112 pounds lost from that surgery.  My band slipped and I developed a herniated pocket which could only be corrected with the VSG surgery. 

Three months ago (May 2014) I lost my job and have not had the funds to by what I use to eat or go to the gym that I use to go. I need HELP in jump starting my weight loss again and I don’t know where to start.  There are so many diets out here and it was suggested by my surgical nutritionist that starting from the beginning is not good at this point. I don’t have insurance now (stress), it’s hard to find a job (stress), I eat the things that my grandkids eat (junk foods, just wrong) and my weight is slowly creeping up.

I don’t do so well with online support because it either cost money or I don’t get the support from the online community.  I would like to join a free face-to-face support group in my state (Maryland) however the hospitals in the bariatric department tell me most meet on-line. I will try again, however, I’m looking for an online support pal if this is the only route I must go, that will help me get ME back.  I’m hoping that something that is shared can help YOU as well.

Thanks

SophieNJ
on 8/15/14 9:45 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Don't know where you've been going for online support that would cost $, but it's certainly free here!  (and any other wls sites I've seen).   You may want to also check the 'revisions' forum, and your own state group too here... Did you try MyFitnessPal ?  Post there.  Also there are Facebook support groups.  check out Meetup.com or craigslist for other local people looking to lose weight and exercise....no gym, I understand...but there is always free walking!  Go to your local Y and see if they have a 'volunteer in exchange for free membership' program, or a 'grant'...many do, they just don't talk about it.  Plenty of free resource, you just have to put in the effort (which I hope will reduce your stress level a bit).

Check individually with bariatric docs for support groups they may have in their offices...many are willing to allow 'outsiders' into their groups.

I am wondering what food it is you 'used' to eat, but can't afford now?  What ARE you buying now?  Definitely focus on protein - eggs, chicken, tuna...all reasonably inexpensive...have a costco? (or a friend with membership?)...get a huge $5 rotisserie chicken, it will last you all week.  If I had very limited $ for food, that's where I'd spend it.  Go to a Walmarts type store, get a big jug of protein powder (I like their "Pure Protein" brand)...you may think it's expensive, but when you break it down per meal, it's really cheap and probably saves you $. If someone else is providing your food, talk to them about having healthier food in the house not only for you, but the grandkids sake.

I know many people here go back to the beginning basics when weight starts to come back on, or stalls.  Protein, lots of water, and exercise. 

I'm sorry you are having all those personal issues, and I hope all starts to resolve itself.  In the meantime, be good to yourself, take care of yourself...

(((hugs)))

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

MyRe_Do2014
on 8/16/14 8:20 am - Reisterstown, MD

Thank you Sophie for the hugs. When I reached out for help I was very doubtful that anyone would reply...and then you and two others replied with genuine concerns for my well being with helpful suggestions. I will take a little from each to try and make it work for me. Your suggestions on the forums and websites are great. I've gone to the Beyond Diet, or sites that suggest they have the best foods to eat to lose weight and after reading; to join cost $.  I steered away from those and now feel relieved to get a response from others that understand my concerns. I use to by Salmon, Organic foods etc. of which I spoiled myself and now must change my purchasing habits. I also fell into a pity party that I now must tell myself I need to get out of. 

I will go to Walmart and get the Pure Protein. Sophie thank you again. If you don't mind may I check in with you from time to time? 

Hugs back at ya!

Audrey

MyRe_Do2014
on 8/21/14 7:00 am - Reisterstown, MD

Hello Sophie, 

Audrey here. I just wanted to let you know that I brought the Vanilla Pure Protein at Walmart and have been mixing my shakes for my in between meals. I need to find recipes for those smoothies though. I have also been incorporating more protein in my meals, in fact I eat my protein first. However, the one thing that I am so thankful that you suggested is the 'My Fitness Pal' app that is now on my phone.  I am in love with this app. because it helps me track my foods and I can even bar code the product.  How great is that?

I've lost 4 pounds in 5 days. I just have to continue this format. With your encouragement and  support I have truly been JUMP STARTED. 

ambrosia79
on 8/15/14 10:15 pm - PA

The number one biggest thing that throws me off-track is when I think I can stop tracking my food intake. I use MyFitnessPal.com  The days that I track my food intake, I do very well.  I put my foods in as soon as my meal is done so I don't forget.  I snack less when I do this and seeing the total calories rack up, I use more restraint when choosing foods. I hadn't been tracking well lately, so I did it for a few days while eating about the same as I had been, only to find that I was way overeating!  So, start by tracking your food intake.  The number 2 biggest thing is to always eat a dense protein first before anything else.  It fills you up so much more.  The last thing is to grab some water in between meals as soon as you feel the need to eat.  I get very hungry (some with VSG don't feel hunger much). If it's in between meals, a half glass of water is usually enough to keep me from grabbing the bad foods.  If a drink doesn't do the trick, grab a cheese stick or other protein dense snack. I also love almonds, but not everyone's sleeve likes nuts.  I'm on a limited budget as well.  In fact, we were having some difficulties recently where I had to visit a food bank.  If your income is that low, maybe try that.  Check with local churches, many have food pantries.  While they sometimes give you those bad boxed foods, they also usually give you good meats.

MyRe_Do2014
on 8/16/14 8:28 am - Reisterstown, MD

Hello Ambrosia79, 

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I will certainly check out the website you suggested for tracking my foods. As I told another supportive member that wrote me that I must pull myself out of the pity party I tried to stay in. I must keep myself busy if nothing but walking around the block. I love to dance so I will dance when I feel the need to eat something silly that I have no business eating. 

Thank you for your concern and if you don't mind may I write you form time to time? My misconceptions about online support has been restored.

Regards, 

Audrey

ambrosia79
on 8/17/14 12:15 am - PA

Of course!  I need the support, too.  I would love to regularly attend face to face support groups, but my surgery was 1.5 hours away from me, so getting to their support group is hard for me.  Plus, I have 3 small children and a husband that works long hours, so that makes it extra hard to leave the house for that long. 

MyRe_Do2014
on 8/21/14 7:01 am - Reisterstown, MD

Hello Ambrosia, 

Audrey here. I just wanted to let you know that I brought the Vanilla Pure Protein at Walmart and have been mixing my shakes for my in between meals. I need to find recipes for those smoothies though. I have also been incorporating more protein in my meals, in fact I eat my protein first. However, the one thing that I am so thankful that you suggested is the 'My Fitness Pal' app that is now on my phone.  I am in love with this app. because it helps me track my foods and I can even bar code the product.  How great is that?

I've lost 4 pounds in 5 days. I just have to continue this format. With your encouragement and  support I have truly been JUMP STARTED. 

VSG on 06/12/13

I agree with the above poster. Track, track, track. Set food goals and track to them. Make the smartest food choices you can.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

MyRe_Do2014
on 8/16/14 8:34 am - Reisterstown, MD

Hi Laurie, 

Thank you for your support and acknowledgement to track my foods. It was hard to make smart food choices while purposely attending a pity party. However, I will really work hard on making good food choices on a budget. My misconceptions about online support groups has been restored. 

Thanks again, and from time to time may I write you?

Regards, 

Audrey

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views