Full liquid diet question....

Justme7
on 8/20/14 12:44 pm, edited 8/20/14 1:07 pm - ID

I am on full liquids post-op for two weeks. My NUT gave me instructions that most protein will come from shakes at this stage. It also states that you can include blended soup like tomato or reduced fat cream soups at this stage but only 1/4 to 1/2 cup. The PA however said that I can have as much as I want from anything on the full liquid list. My question is should I polish off a can of tomato soup (made with a can of 1% milk or should I limit my amount of soup at this stage to like 1/2 cup? It is confusing as I received conflicting information. Also, is it ok to down two greek yogurts at 12g protein each instead of doing a protein shake?

Justme7

FindingMyWeigh
on 8/20/14 12:58 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Hmmm..I can't tell if you are pre or post op. Pre-op: take this time to lose as much weight as possible. It makes for an easier surgery as it shrinks your liver.  If you are post op, there are actually protein cream soups that will give you the protein you need. A bit pricey but a good solid investment. Keep an eye on your sodium intake...post op there are also a fairly sizeable number of people who gained weight immediately after surgery due to water retention. These soups are lower sodium than something from the grocery store, by and large. Also,  there are a surprising number of people who have not been able to tolerate milk products (yogurt, greek yogurt, milk, cheese, cottage cheese etc) after surgery. Take it nice and slow introducing new foods to your new tiny tummy until you know what you can and cannot tolerate at this point. I liked the BariLife cream of tomato and cream of chicken. Here's a linky to the protein cream soups that helped me both pre and post op: http://www.barilife.com/protein-supplements/soups.html

Peace be with you

Colleen

Capegin
on 8/20/14 1:09 pm

If I were you, I would call the surgeon's office and explain what the nutritionist said and see if that changes their suggestions.  Like the previous response, though, this is a great time to start shedding some of that extra weight... I was shocked at how quickly it came off.  That said, the shakes got very old very fast (my surgeon doesn't allow anything else), so a little variety is nice!  As far as I know the goal of this stage is protein, protein, protein, so bulking up on the soups and holding back on the shakes might compromise that?  Not an expert, just my thought!  Good luck!

joshcoop
on 8/20/14 11:32 pm - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

I would definitely call the office and have them clearly specify what you should be doing at this point and have all your questions answered. Everyone's "plan" is so different depending on where you had it done....I would for sure call today and get it straightened out. :)

Highest Weight = 321lb, Start Weight = 302lb, CW (as of 05/03/15) = 192lb, Total Loss (since SW) = 110lbs

*Follow my journey:*

http://vsgjosh.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmVwwSwz1B8d4EBCfWG3ww

Kelly Jean
on 8/20/14 11:38 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

I'll assume your pre op cause I don't think there is a shot in hell you could eat 2 greek yogurts or a full can of soup at 2 weeks out.... lol but I'd ask your doc these questions ... and follow what  they want !!! Best of luck to you! !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views