Day 3 post op - question re: oatmeal?

claricey
on 8/22/14 4:34 am

So my full liquids include oatmeal made with protein powder. I'm nervous about this though. It's the thickest thing I've eaten.  Anyone else allowed oatmeal in stage 2 or have any experiences to share ?  Thanks!

wyo_sarah
on 8/22/14 4:41 am

I wasn't allowed oatmeal on full liquids, not until pureed foods.  If I were going to eat it I would probably run it through a blender.

mrspetty
on 8/22/14 4:46 am
VSG on 03/26/14

I wasn't allowed oatmeal on day 3- and I don't think I would have been able to eat much if I tried. I would suggest making it really runny so it's more like soup. 

claricey
on 8/22/14 4:48 am

Thanks posters I opted to make it very thin and couldn't fini**** all. Grabbed another protein shake for now. 

Onward and upward!

marstro
on 8/22/14 5:12 am

I didn't start oatmeal until last week on the pureed foods. I wouldn't chance it, I would be nervous.

susan88
on 8/22/14 5:30 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

It was on my list of allowable foods but it said that it had to be made very runny, a consistency that would go thru a straw.  I made thin cream of wheat instead and added unflavored protein powder. It was actually quite good.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/22/14 6:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

To quote my surgeon regarding foods on the full liquids list:

"If it pours, it's yours"

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

califsleevin
on 8/22/14 10:28 am - CA

I had a little bit of oatmeal the morning after getting out of the hospital (plan was liquids, purees/mushes and soft proteins for the first month,) and it went down fine (as did yogurt, jello, pudding and mashed up potato that got tried those first few days.) Our general rule was to try a little of something new, one at a time, to test for tolerance; if it settles well, then great and if not, try it again in a week or two.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

claricey
on 8/22/14 11:24 am

Thanks for the post!  It made me feel better as I did eat some of it and became worried. Take care!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views